Are hills worse than headwinds?

• Yes

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 68.3%
  • Man up and get on with it

Votes: 24 20.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Headwinds are the devil's sneezes. Cycling up a hill on a calm day is a pleasure. Cycling into a headwind is never a pleasure.

Now cycling up a hill into a headwind, that's just plain horrible

Levo-Lon

Guru
I hate cycling in strong wind ,I hate working in strong wind..
hills? Kill me so I guess I dislike both,but the top of a climb at least has a descent to enjoy..

as crankarm says lol bloody flat lands ...

vickster

Legendary Member
I live on a hill its bloody freezing in winter when you first set off down it and coming back its bloody knackering after a long ride you always have to save a little for right at the end. Having said that some days are wind, hill, wind and more hill its all the same in the end.
You'll never get flooded though so look on the bright side ;)

Or move :whistle:

I actively like hills: they're a challenge to surmount and constantly change the perspective and view of the landscape. I would choose a route with hills over a flat route. I can't see anything positive at all about headwinds though! (All of the preceding is fortunate since I live in the Yorkshire Dales where there pretty much isn't anything flat!)

RedRider

Pulling through
You lot should ride in the Fens. When it's windy, very windy, which it has been lately since september last year, it's like riding Mont Ventoux and Alp d'Huez everyday. Man up.
Myself and a mate rode up the eastern side of the country last year and whilst we were fortunate to have a prevailing tailwind the landscape of ditches meant we were sometimes doubling back into a headwind for long-ish stretches. Strange to say I enjoyed those bits in a grim-faced, macho way and took pleasure in beckoning my colleague into my shelter. I think my current avatar pic was taken somewhere around March and if you look carefully you can see my leg muscles expanding :eek:
That said, I prefer hills.

I suppose just like hills in that for every up there is down, so for head winds. Once you turn round to go back you go like a bomb. But if I had a choice I'd rather climb any day.

screenman

Legendary Member
As long as it is safe I am not worried either way, in a strong headwind I will just gear down and enjoy the experience, strong tailwind, just gear up and enjoy the experience.

subaqua

What’s the point
I dunno Paley. I seem to be struggling with hills lately, but still able to disengage brain and plod relentlessly into the wind.
yeah you and me both. I think its time to MTFU and get out at the weekend on some slopes and ride em to sort the legs.

Top Bottom