Are hills worse than headwinds?

• Yes

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 68.3%
  • Man up and get on with it

Votes: 24 20.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I prefer hills.
On a cycle tour of Scotland once it took me two days to ride east to west across the north coast from Thurso to Durness into the mother of all headwinds. It was relentless, and most of the distance was completed at a walking pace in 2nd gear. I was even having to pedal on the downhill bits. I was a grown man, but was reduced to tears of frustration on more than one occasion. :cry:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Hills: character-forming
Headwinds: soul-destroying

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The thing that wears me down with the wind seems to be more the noise than the drag. Because I seem to use my ears a lot to alert me to traffic around me, a headwind jams those signals too and that also appears to up the stress levels. One of these days I'm going to experiment with ear plugs and see whether that helps.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hills, headwind and fixed gear, what's not to like :wacko: - regularly on my commute. I keep telling myself it's good training ! :ohmy:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't mind hills. If you've done the area before you know what to expect,but headwinds are unpredictable. I know It sounds like something from a comedy sketch but the other year i had a filthy polystyrene take away box blow in my face as i was struggling to stay on my bike in a headwind!:cursing:

Oldbloke

Guru
Side winds I don't like, especially when emerging from cover of buildings or trees.

I've given up planning my rides which are theoretically against the wind going out and behind coming back. It often seems to swing around as I go through different areas.

Top Bottom