Are Hybrids just as good and fast as road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am asking this because each time I ride my Boardman Comp, I feel it is just as good as my Cube or Specialized, especially going up a hill. Of course, I prefer the riding position of the road bikes as I feel more in touch with road with them but otherwise the Hybrid is really good. Would it be just as good over a long distance, I don't know as I never go very far on the Boardman.
What are views on comparing the two types?

Vegan1

If you are talking watts then no, a hybrid is not faster then a road bike.

13 rider

Guru
Having started on a hybrid then changed to a roadie the biggest difference is when you ride into a headwind the more upright position of the hybrid makes it so much harder . Ive done metric centuries on the hybrid if your comfortable on the hybrid you can do any distance you want . It just might be a tad slower

Vegan1

At the end of the day... it's mainly down to the engine.

I know someone, on this forum who would beat anyone on here day in and day out on a hybrid, a middle of road price wise one at that.

I doubt that given the relative Cd of a hybrid.

Vegan1

I'm not going to say his name. But he is very well known to a lot of people on here and is one of the best long distance and speed cyclists in the UK.

This changes the Cd of a hybrid bike? My FTP is 325 watts, your friend on a hybrid would need a FTP of more than 400 watts to keep up with me according to an application that looks at power vs speed for various Cd's. Unless this person is called Geraint, Chris, Bradley or even Lance then he does not stand a chance.

Jimidh

Veteran
At the end of the day... it's mainly down to the engine.

I know someone, on this forum who would beat anyone on here day in and day out on a hybrid, a middle of road price wise one at that.
But the question is would he be even faster on a road bike?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This changes the Cd of a hybrid bike? My FTP is 325 watts, your friend on a hybrid would need a FTP of more than 400 watts to keep up with me according to an application that looks at power vs speed for various Cd's. Unless this person is called Geraint, Chris, Bradley or even Lance then he does not stand a chance.

Think what you like son. As I said, he's known by lots of people on here.I don't need to justify to you how good he is.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I started on on a hybrid and it really got me back into cycling. I even did a couple of half centuries on it.
But then I got a road bike, which for riding on the road is so much better, although I wouldn't want to take it off road through the woods like I do the hybrid.

And the speed? The hybrid is fun but it's not fast - the lower gearing and extra weight see to that.
The best speed I've achieved on the hybrid was 36mph and it was starting to spin out. On the road bike it was over 44mph and there was still a bit to give but I was running out of road....

Top Bottom