Are Hybrids just as good and fast as road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
true... most know who I am talking about anyway.
I'll leave it at that.

I can't resist a guess.

On that fast (for me, anyway) Brighton ride we did, I was struck by one rider who vanished into the distance, and who barrelled past me on a couple of climbs as if he had the electric assist, not me.

You mentioned earlier about distance, so my nomination is @arallsopp.

damj

I can do my 18 mile commute in 1hr 15 on my hybrid (eight speed) and 1hr 12 on my road bike (10 speed). There is weight difference 5 kilos more, for the hybrid. Only difference I'm slightly less knackered on the road bike but my back hurts due to slightly more aggressive positioning

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I can't resist a guess.

On that fast (for me, anyway) Brighton ride we did, I was struck by one rider who vanished into the distance, and who barrelled past me on a couple of climbs as if he had the electric assist, not me.

Good and very worthy guess. But no.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good and very worthy guess. But no.

Mmm, the only other one I can think of is a member whose username I can't recall, but who may live in Derbyshire.

He did 80-odd miles across the Peak District at 18mph+, which is going some on the flat let alone in an area which is properly lumpy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My normal 6.7 mile commute..
On my mtb about 40 mins. Its 30f 10/42 r. Not good for owt bar mtb
Mt team boardman is around 28 mins
Road bike about 23

Mind you bloody kids ,dog walkers with their tight ropes and traffic light timings throw it all out.
So nice when you get a clean run mind..

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I can't resist a guess.

Ha! Some chance. I can barely stay upright on a hybrid :smile:
On the other hand, I've ridden a fair distance with the rider I suspect we're referring to.
Long enough to work out that his name is an anagram of "marriage signs"

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ha! Some chance. I can barely stay upright on a hybrid :smile:
On the other hand, I've ridden a fair distance with the rider I suspect we're referring to.
Searing rim gas?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had noticed that Blazed hadnt posted in while. How are they keeping?
And as if by magic, this morning I was riding straight at the side of a box van that said "BLAZE" in big letters on it :eek:

Yes ,there's fast and then ther,s fecking unbelievably fast..his tyres have been know to stretch with the centrifugal force..yes its true
He has to weld his front brake calipers onto the frame, else the speed the rim is moving just rips the farkers right off as soon as the pads make contact.

Good old Sangria Grimes, eh?

Sandra6

Veteran
Surely the "spec" of the bike would be relevant?
If the boardman is "better" than your other bikes then it would probably be an easier, therefore faster, ride.
Just to be awkward I'm faster on my 29er than on my hybrid, which is billed as a flat bar road bike. But the 29er cost almost twice as much.
When I finally get round to buying an actual road bike I will report back with my scientific findings.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely the "spec" of the bike would be relevant?
If the boardman is "better" than your other bikes then it would probably be an easier, therefore faster, ride.
It's relevant, but maybe not in the way you think. You could have bike A with (say) a better groupset, maybe better forks and named-brand handlebars, but if bike B's got faster-rolling tyres on, weighs a bit less, is a bit more aerodynamic and the gearing is better-suited to the rider+terrain, then I suspect bike B will be an easier and faster ride.

I suspect much of the supposed road bike "advantage" is in the tyres, aerodynamics and weight. If anything, it's probably undermined by the superhuman gearing they're often sold with, even if the Ultegra or 105 derailleurs+shifters are supposedly better than the triggers and Tourneys often seen on hybrids.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I suspect much of the supposed road bike "advantage" is in the tyres, aerodynamics and weight. If anything, it's probably undermined by the superhuman gearing they're often sold with.

Yep, I ride hybrids 95% of the time, but I do quick fun rides on a road bike, it's lighter, has far narrower bars, 9mm thinner tyres and weighs 4 or 5kg lighter, no wonder I'm faster on it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As an aside when my Mrs got shut of her 26 and moved to 29er she was noticeably quicker..id say around 5mph more on the flat..
The 26 was lighter but wheel size wins on that particular test.
She now has a trek 29er with a big feck off battery ..she is even quicker now..and I get a serious work out when going up hills with a "I must win attitude"..

Top Bottom