Are Hybrids just as good and fast as road bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
I think many a Pro would beat us all on the TdF on a hybrid ........ Despite Scotty's assertion lol

Montgomery_Scott_aboard_the_Botany_Bay.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Quite simply, no. There's many a reason that pro road teams don't ride hybrids but the simple one is that a road bike is faster.

There's a more detailed discussion on the whys and wherefore of course, and as an amateur you can at times feel that the two types aren't that far apart, but given the same rider, and the same road course, with the same effort, a road bike will always be faster. How much faster depends on so many factors.

Ian's mate who can ride a hybrid faster than anyone.... I'm not sure why that's become a side discussion because the fact is..... he'd still be faster on a road bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am asking this because each time I ride my Boardman Comp, I feel it is just as good as my Cube or Specialized, especially going up a hill. Of course, I prefer the riding position of the road bikes as I feel more in touch with road with them but otherwise the Hybrid is really good. Would it be just as good over a long distance, I don't know as I never go very far on the Boardman.
What are views on comparing the two types?
Hybrids are usually Jack of all trades and master of none. They might give similar weight road bikes decent competition uphill, especially if they've a triple chainset, but neither bike nor riding position will be as aerodynamic, so it'll be harder work on the flat or you'll go slower.

On the other hand, a hybrid can usually cope with rougher stuff and carry more than most road bikes. I've ridden centuries on mine, I've toured with people on hybrids, and so on, but they'd suck at racing.

My hybrid doesn't get ridden much any more but it took three bikes to do all the jobs it used to. I probably ought to bite the bullet and kit it out with spiked tyres as a deep winter bike.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's one of those questions with one simple answer: no; and a much more complex answer, depending on the relative quality of tyres, frame, etc. It's possible to get into a reasonably aerodynamic position on some flat bar bikes. But in general: no.

hoopdriver

Guru
True, a roadbike is probably going to be lighter and better designed for speed than a hybrid but what ianrauk says is correct - in an absolute sense it ultimately comes down to the rider. A TdF rider on a hybrid bike would handily beat most 'normal' people on a road bike.

The Hybrid term is a bit general. A flat bar road bike (aka a Hybrid) is just as fast, if not faster than a drop bar road bike uphill but add wind resistance its slower mainly because the rider is more up right with flat bars. A mtb orientated hybrid is no where near as fast as a dropped bar road bike, its a lot heavier, generally has tyres which roll slower, probably has lower gears for comfort and also has the aero disbenefits of upright riding.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you're like me and a fast cyclist on any bike, it doesn't make any difference, however hybrid bikes are just not cool.
Alan Partridge would agree with that.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4853006, member: 43827"]I did a test once. Took my road bike and let it go. It fell to the floor at exactly the same speed as my hybrid bike.

The bikes are the same speed, their design just lets the rider of road bikes cycle faster than hybrids, mainly due to the extra wind resistance of the more upright riding position on the hybrid, plus the undoubted fact that roadies wear skinnier lycra outfits, drink more energy drinks and monitor their performance on Strava.[/QUOTE]
Quite a lot of them take performance-enhancing drugs too.

froze

Über Member
I'm not going to say his name. But he is very well known to a lot of people on here and is one of the best long distance and speed cyclists in the UK.
Yeah, the engine is more important than the bike. I know that a person like Wiggins could beat anyone of this forum (excluding any pros who might be here that I don't know about) with a $700 hybrid vs one of us on a $10,000 wonder road bike.

hoopdriver

Guru
The question also asks if hybrids are 'as good' as road bikes - not merely about speed. Good, of course, is subjective and depends on the individual and what they want their bike to be able to do, but certainly for a great many applications - commuting, for example, or touring - a hybrid might well be better than a road bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom