Are most people thick sheep ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This thread reminded me of a friend who was a pastor and shepherd who was fond of saying "When Jesus said we were like sheep it wasn't meant as a complement..."

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My mate and his wife got caught out last summer when they arrived at the villa they had booked online to find it was a private house.

He showed me the villa online before he went and it looked ideal as did the website.

My mate and his wife both university educated and have booked umpteen of these types of trips previously so certainly not gullible sheep.

That is a real risk. We have booked several properties for holidays privately, dealing with the "owner" in the UK of the overseas property directly. Nothing has gone wrong thus far but I do recognise there is a risk as we only correspond by phone or email. We try to do our Due Diligence but ultimately a sophisticated fraudster could set something up that would be very difficult to spot

KneesUp

Guru
IQ varies depending oin a number of factors, including how full/tired you are when you take the test.
Performance on any test varies. The IQ test is designed to give an average score of 100, although it is culturally sensitive (the average score in some countries is lower than others) and is rising over time - if an average adult today took a test from the 1960s they would score over 100, I believe (or rather, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere once)

classic33

Leg End Member
Sheep foil cattle guard
"Hungry sheep on the Yorkshire Moors taught themselves to roll 8 feet (3 meters) across hoof-proof metal cattle grids to raid villagers' valley gardens. According to a witness, "They lie down on their side or sometimes their back and just roll over and over the grids until they are clear. I've seen them doing it. It is quite clever, but they are a big nuisance to the villagers." "
[Source: BBC News, July 20
http://www.sheep101.info/stupidsheep.html

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's your point?

The human race has always operated largely on trust. Fraudsters have always found ways to betray that trust, and in the modern world the methods are becoming increasingly clever, so be careful before you poke fun at others that have been caught because it could be you next!

Just seen this and yes, our society still operates on trust to a large degree. Unfortunately the wonderful worldwide web has put us in easy reach of people who are a good deal more cunning and ready to exploit that trust. Elderly people are most at risk as they grew up before the web and as you age, the part of the brain that governs belief begins to fade. They are also reluctant to cause offence by saying no.

One system that still works on trust is hawala, the informal Islamic money-transfer system. Read about it on Wikipedia.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I've seen a cow bell, but never a sheep bell. Strange that.

KneesUp

Guru
A thick sheep.

yk2sj-shrek-sheep.jpg

Brains

Legendary Member
Some friends of the family (who luckily happen to speak fluent German) own a large villa with pool and superb views in Mallorca
They spend most of the summer there.
They sometimes rent it out long term during the winter via a very reputable letting agent in the UK although had not done so for 18 months.

Throughout last summer that had a number of people, nearly all Germans, arriving at their villa, suitcases in tow, who had rented it for a few weeks, in one case three different parties on the same day.

The villa, complete with a totally accurate description and photos had been put up on a German web site, with a load of others, and deposits had been collected.
The photos and description had been lifted from the agents site some 18 months previously and the description had been accurately translated .

Someone, somewhere made a lot of money, oblivious a con with a lot of planning that had gone into it.

KneesUp

Guru
After posting my comment I thought a bit more deeply and decided I was probably wrong. I'm not familiar with how the I.Q scale works but assume you can only go as low as zero, while the clever ones can be infinitely clever, thus upsetting the perfect bell curve distribution. I'm sure someone cleverer than me (or more studied in maths and statistics) will be along shortly to enlighten us both.....?
Missed this the first time somehow - you were right first time - IQ tests produce a pretty good approximation of a normal distribution with a mean (and median and mode) of 100 - the tests are adjusted to maintain this. A reputable IQ test is closed - i.e. there is a top limit to the score - largely because you can't accurately calibrate them at the tails because the sample size is too small. Different tests have different top limits, which is why people often say what test they got the score on, although the tabloids who are doing are 'wonderkid' story always choose the one that goes to the highest number, obviously.

Top Bottom