Are my Wheels strong enough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
H+ Plus Son don't do rims for 16 spokes. the lowest you can get is 20 h.

It's disturbing that a builder would build a rear wheel with 20 off the shelf spokes, they are just not strong enough.

Maybe you didn't read or understood @Yellow Saddle post. If I were you I would put the £100 towards something more durable or if budget is an issue then you might have to go second hand or something heavier but also cheaper.
Hi, yes I did read and understand Yellow Saddle's much appreciated comments, and was only drawn to the Campag's because they were designed specifically as CX wheels according to the blurb.They are on offer for £100, but should be around £160. Not that cheap really! The Rear has 24 spokes not 20 as per my previous e-mail, but I agree it is still not many is it. Thanks again for your advice.

Newman8

I love campag stuff mostly, but had a set of Scirrocco wheels with a low spoke count & simply didn't get on with them as much as my other wheelset at the time (cheaper Mavic rims on generic hubs - maybe Novatec). They kept breaking spokes & were difficult to re-true.

My current set of Harry Rowland Ambrosio Excellight (on Novatec) feel bombproof - really recommend them - good value.

Close to your budget, you should be able to get 32h Mavic A119, or even A319, built onto Shimano Deore (135mm) or Tiagra (130mm) hubs, or possibly Novatec too.

I think you'd regret not doing.

Also Rigida rims are good value - but whatever rim you get, put it on 32h hubs.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
I love campag stuff mostly, but had a set of Scirrocco wheels with a low spoke count & simply didn't get on with them as much as my other wheelset at the time (cheaper Mavic rims on generic hubs - maybe Novatec). They kept breaking spokes & were difficult to re-true.

My current set of Harry Rowland Ambrosio Excellight (on Novatec) feel bombproof - really recommend them - good value.

Close to your budget, you should be able to get 32h Mavic A119, or even A319, built onto Shimano Deore (135mm) or Tiagra (130mm) hubs, or possibly Novatec too.

I think you'd regret not doing.

Also Rigida rims are good value - but whatever rim you get, put it on 32h hubs.
I went out on my Shimano Road Wheels that came on my CX bike today, and decided to give them some stick to see what happened. I did 35ml loop using mainly a local old railway route which is currently very muddy, stoney, water-logged etc.. Okay it's not exactly Mtb terrain, but it is close to a lot of CX courses. Anyway, the low spoke count road wheels survived, but there were a few groans from them that gave me the impression that they wouldn't last if continually subjected to the same treatment, so I think 32h is definitely the way to go. I had some built on a previous bike before the cycling boom started to push prices up, and they were spot-on. Mavic Open Pro Rims, Shimano 105 Hubs and DT Swiss spokes. However, I'm sure they would cost me a lot more than the £110 I paid back then. Thanks for the advice :okay:

I went out on my Shimano Road Wheels that came on my CX bike today, and decided to give them some stick to see what happened. I did 35ml loop using mainly a local old railway route which is currently very muddy, stoney, water-logged etc.. Okay it's not exactly Mtb terrain, but it is close to a lot of CX courses. Anyway, the low spoke count road wheels survived, but there were a few groans from them that gave me the impression that they wouldn't last if continually subjected to the same treatment, so I think 32h is definitely the way to go. I had some built on a previous bike before the cycling boom started to push prices up, and they were spot-on. Mavic Open Pro Rims, Shimano 105 Hubs and DT Swiss spokes. However, I'm sure they would cost me a lot more than the £110 I paid back then. Thanks for the advice :okay:

What do you mean by groans? And why were you surprised that they were intact after a single ride?

vickster

Legendary Member
I had not dissimilar wheels built by @Spoked Wheels, albeit 36 spokes on the rear and Novatec hubs. The parts cost me just under £200 iirc

MOB

You may be fine with such a low spoke count but for reliability I always have 32 spokes on Mtn bike wheels and 36 spokes on road ( most of my bikes are tourers and I am particularly heavy).

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
What do you mean by groans? And why were you surprised that they were intact after a single ride?
It was probably my Knees! I think it was the nature of the ride more than anything, as I was not going out of my way to avoid much really (pot-holes/debris etc). I was also putting the hammer down a bit so it could have been some degree of flex from the frame or wheel. To be fair for a reasonably cheap wheel set they felt quite light and we're sprightly on the road sections too.

It was probably my Knees! I think it was the nature of the ride more than anything, as I was not going out of my way to avoid much really (pot-holes/debris etc). I was also putting the hammer down a bit so it could have been some degree of flex from the frame or wheel. To be fair for a reasonably cheap wheel set they felt quite light and we're sprightly on the road sections too.
Unfortunately personification of inanimate objects in a technical discussion doesn't help. Even saying that there "could have been some degree of flex in the frame or wheels" is not useful since a) it cannot be felt (although it can be observed if the bike is clamped and loaded) and b), if there were any flex in the wheels, it would have presented as scrape marks at the tyre level on the fork and frame paint.
Light and sprightly is also meaningless in a technical discussion and serves to reinforce the poor press reports on wheels.
Have a look at the recent New Wheels discussion for more on the problem.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Unfortunately personification of inanimate objects in a technical discussion doesn't help. Even saying that there "could have been some degree of flex in the frame or wheels" is not useful since a) it cannot be felt (although it can be observed if the bike is clamped and loaded) and b), if there were any flex in the wheels, it would have presented as scrape marks at the tyre level on the fork and frame paint.
Light and sprightly is also meaningless in a technical discussion and serves to reinforce the poor press reports on wheels.
Have a look at the recent New Wheels discussion for more on the problem.
The noises that I mentioned were nothing that warranted a post mortem, and considering the terrain I was riding on I would doubt that any bike, or wheel set would be completely silent. All that I was 'trying' to say (not always easy in written words) was that the low spoke count wheels where behaving as I would have expected compared to a stronger 32h set. And by 'sprightly' I just meant that on the positive side they rolled well and felt light on the road sections. I obviously don't possess your technical knowledge, and apologise for my use of tardy press talk :notworthy:

The noises that I mentioned were nothing that warranted a post mortem, and considering the terrain I was riding on I would doubt that any bike, or wheel set would be completely silent. All that I was 'trying' to say (not always easy in written words) was that the low spoke count wheels where behaving as I would have expected compared to a stronger 32h set. And by 'sprightly' I just meant that on the positive side they rolled well and felt light on the road sections. I obviously don't possess your technical knowledge, and apologise for my use of tardy press talk :notworthy:
I hate it when this happens. Groveling really sucks. Lets just stick to facts, shall we?

U

User6179

What hub spacing do rim brake CX bikes have I know disc brake ones have 135mm hub spacing like mountain bikes.

You just had me checking my CAADX as I put a Mavic Aksium on it a few weeks ago , its 130mm , either that or the frames bent in 5mm because I put wrong size wheel on :biggrin:

Wow. Even when someone's apologising, you're still being an arrogant twat. Get your head out of your arse and do one will you?
I think you read me wrong. I really hate it when it becomes apologetic instead of factual. Even after all that, there are still two statements in there which have no bearing on fact, but when the tone becomes apologetic I then have to play Japanese politician and leave room for face saving. This does not help the debate on how wheels work, but that's that for now.

Top Bottom