Are my Wheels strong enough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
You just had me checking my CAADX as I put a Mavic Aksium on it a few weeks ago , its 130mm , either that or the frames bent in 5mm because I put wrong size wheel on :biggrin:
Is yous a Rim brake frame?

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP:
The Wheels [only have 16(F) + 20(R) spokes] look great, but are they strong enough to ride off road?
Temptation:
a set of Campag khamsin CX wheels on offer from Wiggle + Evans at just over £100. They only have (18/20) spokes but are apparently built specifically for CX
Advice (duly thanked by @JPBoothy )
Maybe you didn't read or understood @Yellow Saddle post. If I were you I would put the £100 towards something more durable
Decision on number of spokes (ie not 16/20 or 24):
so I think 32h is definitely the way to go
Descent into groans from unidentified elements of bike (I rather like the groans my 1970s Brooks Competition makes, btw) wheels or frame or wherever (and diversion into 'sprightly' and 'light').
OP reiteration of question:
Have you any recommendations for a decent set of 32 CX Spokers that won't break the bank?
@Newman8 suggested some.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
OP:

Temptation:

Advice (duly thanked by @JPBoothy )

Decision on number of spokes (ie not 16/20 or 24):

Descent into groans from unidentified elements of bike (I rather like the groans my 1970s Brooks Competition makes, btw) wheels or frame or wherever (and diversion into 'sprightly' and 'light').
OP reiteration of question:

@Newman8 suggested some.
Blimey, I feel like I'm being stalked..

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Just trying to get you a recommendation for the wheels: was the point of your OP, wasn't it? But thread wandered off. Or have you decided what to get? Do say.
Yes, it did seem to go off track a bit.. No I haven't got anything yet, despite all of the good advice and comments. My initial thoughts were to go for the bombproof high count (36), but then the positive comments about the low count had me re-thinking the (20/24) option. The initial 'rough' ride on the road wheels that came with my new bike now has me thinking that with the addition of better sealed bearings the low count Campag CX wheels might not be that bad after all. Sometimes you really do have to just 'suck it and see' don't you.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Strength. "The wheels don't break when you sit on the bike."
Durability. "Durability only shows up over time and is in direct correlation with spoke count and rim weight."
Light. Depends on the weight of hub/spokes and rim (obviously)
Feel. ("sprightly and rolled well") Depends on wheel build but @Spoked Wheels and @Yellow Saddle can provide authoritative comment (the latter if his 'Japanese' phase has passed).
Dimensions. Right diameter, rim width and hub OLD.
Braking. Disc or rim (or hub)
Type of rim: Tubular, clincher or tubeless
Hub; Quality, in particular, for CX, of seals; and type of bearings
Cost. ££

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Probably to allow stupid people to banish people who've got some common sense. BB
I joined the forum for advice, and have been offered some great tips on several things so far. Sadly you will always get somebody taking the high ground, but in the end the comments (good or bad) are just people's OPINIONS! - Let's be nice and just keep it civil chaps :angel:

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Durability. "Durability only shows up over time and is in direct correlation with spoke count and rim weight."
Leaving aside stupidly light rims then it's a thing line whether weight always matters. Materials the rims are made of make a difference too. Today's rims built with new alloys are much lighter than old rims and yet stiffer and more durable. Take a H+ Son Archetype rim and a Mavic sports rim, same spokes count and type and same hubs and the H+ Plus Son Archetype wheel will be far stiffer and durable, yet the Mavic sports rim is roughly 100g heavier.
Spoke tension is definitely a factor in durability as is spoke count, as you already pointed out.

Feel. ("sprightly and rolled well") Depends on wheel build but @Spoked Wheels and @Yellow Saddle can provide authoritative comment

In my experience and in Jobst Brandt's opinion, any sprightly built into the wheel is insignificant compared to tyres and pressure.

Top Bottom