Are old (70's 80's) Road bikes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

bigjim said:
Just putting forward an experienced opinion. May not agree with yours but I still have a right to express it.
ah but you're not just putting forward your opinion are you jim ?

thats the point you see.

What you did was post a critism of my opinion ....there is a difference.

I suggest in future you read the post properly (I didn't say anywhere that all 30 yr old components would be u/s )
and try to post your own opinion without criticising anothers if you can;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I love my 79 Eddy Merckx bought it and sorted it to make sure i wanted to ride a road bike regularly has been modernized but frame and forks original.
picture.php

bigjim

Legendary Member
ah but you're not just putting forward your opinion are you jim ?

thats the point you see.

What you did was post a critism of my opinion ....there is a difference.
Incorrect. I said I did not understand. That is not a criticism of you. It may even be a criticism of myself if anything, as I stated I did not understand your point. Even so if you did see it as a criticism [which it is certainly not] you do not need to post in such a bad mannered and offensive way. By the way that is a criticism! I was always taught manners cost nothing. I suppose we all have different ways of dealing with things.

mistral

Guru
swee said:
I'd agree with Swee'pea

I'm riding a 1980 Holdsworth - had the frame from new, along with same vintage Brooks saddle, that apart not much is original.

But really enjoy fettling, so am constantly tinkering and buying good/NOS old parts. The BB is a modern sealed bearing, the brakes are new, the wheels are old 105 hubs 700C with 7 speed block, but in good nick. Gears are traditional downtube shifters with Suntour rear & Campag front.

It's not a purist’s bike, but it has character and is a joy to ride.

The point I’m making is don’t expect to pick up a sub £100, 20/30 year old bike and expect it to be any good unless you’re very lucky. It may have the makings of something special, but you’ll have to spend many hours getting it right.

I personally have had very few mechanicals with my set up, it's reliable and it's never been in a LBS for a service or repair. I've done some Audaxing, regular 50 - 100+ mile rides and several fnrttc.

It's likely that STI's etc would be more sensible and efficient, but they are technically complex (not to mention expensive) and I doubt I'd be able to easily and cheaply resolve problems arising.

So you have to be clear what direction you want to go - how much risk you want to take and how much you can DIY, otherwise it may eat up your time and ££££! It's great fun though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
threebikesmcginty said:
Just sniffing around on ebay and this came up - Reynolds 653 for £50, ok day left on it but the foundation of a good bike there for not a lot of dosh...at the mo.

Collection only so a bit far for you but shows you what's about.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ribble-Mens-R...UK_Bikes_GL?hash=item2a01c2a791#ht_500wt_1182

Having ridden 531c, 653 and Columbus SLX...... 653 is good, much stiffer than 531c (competition), but not at SLX level - that was twice as expensive.....

PS I ride 653 and SLX now......

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got a 653 Dawes about six months ago, and anything else feels dull by comparison.

(Having said which, I should 'fess up that I've never ridden a modern bike - carbon, titanium, anything like that, so maybe they're even better...?)

asterix

Comrade Member
A choice of grades is one of the attractions of steel for frame building. There are so many with different attributes.

The bike I've just completed replaced a stolen 531 bog-standard job and when I got the stronger (slightly heavier) 531ST frame I realised it was better suited to my weight.

Roberts built me a bike in Columbus tubing with a compact style frame specced to flatter my hill-climbing abilities. Sure enough it is a lovely bike for hilly rides although the heavier British Eagle may be slightly better on the descents.

Top Bottom