Are Skyrides any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,
Just signed up for Skyride Milton Keynes and wondered if they're worth the travelling (not that it's an amazing distance!). Also if it is worthwhile will I look like an idiot in normal cycling gear (bib shorts and jersey) or is it more informal?
Many thanks,
Russ

Anybody else signed up?

3tyretrackterry

i think they are great i am doing the Leicester ride this weekend

paulb55

Über Member
Hi there,
Just signed up for Skyride Milton Keynes and wondered if they're worth the travelling (not that it's an amazing distance!). Also if it is worthwhile will I look like an idiot in normal cycling gear (bib shorts and jersey) or is it more informal?
Many thanks,
Russ

Anybody else signed up?

Hi,

I have been on the skyride Birmingham and you get all sorts, and i mean all sorts, so don't worry

The whole point is to get people out on their bikes, so doesn't matter what you wear and what you ride, i also do a few sky ride locals, the RIDE WELL type which is anything up to 23 miles and you get all sorts there as well from 16 year old to 65 year old and some are all in lycra and some are in baggy shorts and t shirts so just go and enjoy

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Paul...Think I'll check out what other rides are going on in the area as well. Sometimes good to go it alone but the miles seem to pass quicker with a bit of company!

TVC

As above - excellent fun, but be aware that there can be issues with inexperienced chidren and adults.

Good point. You know those people who cut you up, manoeuvre without looking, and generally think they own the road when they're in their cars Monday to Friday. Well they'll be there with their equally hopeless kids for their one cycling trip of the year.

So eyes peeled and cover the brakes and you'll enjoy it.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Will keep my wits about me!!!

pepecat

I did Birmingham skyride too, wearing bib shorts and top, as were large numbers of other people. Larger numbers of pther people were wearing all sorts of gear, on all sorts of shaped bikes and BSOs, and it was great!! The thing to watch out for are the kids - some speed along with no regard for anyone, but you'll also get lots of tiddlers on balance bikes and first proper bikes who wobble and turn in front of you all over the place. It is great to see them out on bikes though!

As a result of skyride, my o/h has just bought her first bike, and signed up to do a 30 mile ride in October..... so I'm a fan of skyrides purely for that reason! It's got her keen on cycling.

Last year in Southampton, I rounded a corner to see a domino stylee cascade of cyclists trying to stop and knocking each other over.

Then from the front came a voice with the total indignant emphasis that only a child can manage.

But, Mummy you TOLD me to stop!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'm all for getting more people cycling, but wonder if Skyrides are such a good idea.

Letting masses of inexperienced riders loose on closed roads to ride how and where they want, doesn't teach them anything useful.

To my mind Murdoch's [spit, spit] money would be better spent teaching them basic roadcraft and getting their bikes properly adjusted.

This would be of more practical benefit and help raise the standard of cycling as a whole: perhaps then a few more people would have the confidence and knowledge to be able to ride safely on the road than wobble along the pavement?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I'm all for getting more people cycling, but wonder if Skyrides are such a good idea.

Letting masses of inexperienced riders loose on closed roads to ride how and where they want, doesn't teach them anything useful.

To my mind Murdoch's [spit, spit] money would be better spent teaching them basic roadcraft and getting their bikes properly adjusted.

This would be of more practical benefit and help raise the standard of cycling as a whole: perhaps then a few more people would have the confidence and knowledge to be able to ride safely on the road than wobble along the pavement?
The smaller city rides are, not so sure about 85,000 cyclists fighting for space around Westminster is though. I think more money should be spent on the Sunday local lead rides. They are more likely to achieve the aims of Skyride.

These are an interesting read
http://www.london.gov.uk/who-runs-london/mayor/mayoral-decisions/md859

The smaller city rides are, not so sure about 85,000 cyclists fighting for space around Westminster is though. I think more money should be spent on the Sunday local lead rides. They are more likely to achieve the aims of Skyride.

These are an interesting read
http://www.london.go...decisions/md859

This is down to the local organisations.

I know that in Southampton there was a lot of effort put into local involvement, training, maintenance, safe routes, etc.

The SkyRide gets someone on a bike, puts them in contact with other cyclists and the opportunity to build uponthat experience.

Top Bottom