Are Tea Bags Getting Weaker....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
...or is it me?

Admittedly I've not got the heroic length of service that some tea makers have on this forum but 30 years of tea making seems to count for nothing these days. Sometimes I can't seem to get the recipe right and it's a bit milky for my liking. I'm convinced the tea bags haven't got the same amount of tea in them of late, they must be packed out with sawdust or something.

That's what I rec! :biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I thought the same for a while, until I realised I had bought a pack of PG tips 'one cup' bags instead of the normal ones.

purplepolly

threebikesmcginty said:
I'm convinced the tea bags haven't got the same amount of tea in them of late, they must be packed out with sawdust or something.

Weren't they always? :biggrin:

In order to be strong and tasty, tea has to be brewed for a long time. In order to be brewed for a long time, tea leaves need to be obtained in large pieces. Teabags are designed to brew quickly, using small pieces of tea.

If you want proper tea, buy large leafed loose tea.

I found Ringtons tea by accident and it's good. They deliver every month & if you're not in they leave it for you. when your bill gets over £10 you can either pay the driver if you see him or pay by card over the phone. They do 'cuppas' to which are almost as good.

If you have ever tried to make a cup of tea from tea bags bought in either canada or france, you will quickly realise that tea bags here are actually quite strong in comparison. But I agree with the general principle that there is nothing worse that p*ss weak tea...

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Lancashire tea? What the heck is that? Is it the dust which collects under the bed?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Kirstie said:
If you have ever tried to make a cup of tea from tea bags bought in either canada or france

Thankfully I like coffee and I can drink that in France.

Everyone I visit in France uses those Lipton Yellow tea bags. Brew them for 20 minutes and you get a cup of faintly straw-coloured warm water.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Yorkshire Tea,
Get the idea?

I've been trying to introduce my Canadian wife to the niceties of the British cuppa. It's an uphill stuggle, what with the magnetic pull of drive-thru coffee shops every couple of hundred yards!

Canadian tea is insipid but thankfully my dealer can supply PG Tips, so normal service is resumed. :bravo:

Top Bottom