Are the roads beyond repair in your area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Living as I do in rural Lincolnshire, and covering quite a lot of miles each week I can see the roads deteriorating almost on a daily basis, I just cannot imagine how they will ever get on top of the job.

I know is some parts of the country that I go to things are not as bad, Shrewsbury, Suffolk, Surrey etc, from a visitors point of view the road are tidy compared with here.

I do phone and report new pot holes, but my enthusiasm for that is running out but I know I must keep doing it. Just how many can a bloke with a bucket of tar fill in a day as that is all we get, and withing 2 days the new tar has squashed out to create a volcano effect.

I live in London and they're paved with gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3552061, member: 9609"]This side of the Border is not too bad, but North Northumberland (where this afternoons bike ride is) is dreadful - there are some places it is though you're entering some third world country. If you are criss crossing the Border you don't need a map to know which country you're in, just look at the road surface - And I think they have given up gritting the roads in the winter over there too.[/QUOTE]

That is just how I found things last time I was up there, I was shocked at the difference.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There are a number that are crap, really really crap. There are three sections in particular that are atrocious and it's not so much they're atrocious because they're any worse than any others (although they are), they're atrocious because all three have been entirely ripped up, re-designed and re-layed in the past two years, so they are as near as damn it brand new, great swathes of the top coat on them has been torn off leaving them with dirty great trenches and pot holes. They're brand bloody new!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dreadful. Drove into Manchester on Sunday down a main route, the A57. My god, some of the holes were massive. A colleague of mine uses that route to ride in. Given he lives not far from me, I will stick to my longer route.

Oldbloke

Guru
I'm lucky where I live as it seems roads are regularly resurfaced without real need.

I'm shocked when I go back to England for visits though, some of the roads around West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire are in shockingly poor condition.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 3552141, member: 9609"]I think this is some money saving tactic, I have seen it done round here, they sort of cut the surface back then re skim it with a surface coat - looks great until the winter when it just disintegrates into a mess.[/QUOTE]
I think you're spot on and it drives me crazy! I'm used to the shoddy job that the council bloke with a bucket of tarmac does falling out of a pot hole in the space of a week, but these were road closed, light controlled, weeks/months of delays "proper" jobs, and they're terrible. My skills are akin to Martyn Ashton thanks to the avoiding action I have to take when I ride them.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Winter tends to show the roads up more as frost gets into the cracks and thats that.
I remember going to hunstanton for a quick winter ride out on a zzr11 I had breifly in winter 08 early 09 and ive never seen the A47 in such a state, the wearing course had just lifted off leaving huge 30,40mm deep gaps which were around 2,3 square metres in area. Not good on a bike I can tell ya.
but being a biker im sure you know how bad it can be.
its been repaired but the roads are shocking.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 3552061, member: 9609"]This side of the Border is not too bad, but North Northumberland (where this afternoons bike ride is) is dreadful - there are some places it is though you're entering some third world country. If you are criss crossing the Border you don't need a map to know which country you're in, just look at the road surface - And I think they have given up gritting the roads in the winter over there too.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if they got the same £1100 per person mroe funding that the Scots get from the Barnett formula they could spend more on the roads ;)

The roads in both the devolved parts of Great Britain seem in better condition than the English ones, though we found some nice tarmac in a couple places between Saltburn and Darlington on Saturday

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Derby and the surroundings' roads can be grotty. The main road from my house into the city centre (at least to the Five Lamps junction) hasn't has any maintenance (apart from the abortive attempt to stick bus lanes in that even TrentBarton didn't want) since we moved here in 1983...

andyfraser

Über Member
Some of the roads in and around Swindon are terrible. There are whole sections of my commute where I have to ride in the middle of the lane to avoid potholes. On one roundabout where I have to turn right I have to choose to either ride next to white lines in the middle of the road and indicate right or stay over toward the left hand side of the lane but not indicate because I'm hanging on for dear life, it's that bad!

Top Bottom