Are the shoes that fit clipless pedals any good for walking about in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Or do you have to take another pair of shoes everywhere with you? Is there any particular shoe/pedal arangement that is good for both cycling and walking?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
You want MTB style shoes, the ones that take the two bolt cleat: the cleat is usually (but not always) recessed into the sole so that you can walk in them a) without wearing the cleat down and b) without going a.... nkle over elbow.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I find MTB style shoes fine for walking around in though the stiffened soles take a bit of getting used to. The one thing that I have trouble with is driving in them - I've found the cleats can get fouled on the pedals which can be dangerous and also that the stiffened soles can stop you ''feeling'' the pedals. Not to be advised. (However, I don't remember ever seeing anybody mention problems with driving in SPDs.)

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Have a look at shimanos rt series of shoes. They have the 2 bolt cleats that are recessed, but without the chunky tread. having said that i dont know if you could call any stiff soled cycling shoe good for walking in. but you definatlwy dont want 3 bolt road shoes.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Specialized Tahoes are fine (and probably the Sonomas too, mine have just been comfy for walking but no cleats as yet)

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I find MTB style shoes fine for walking around in though the stiffened soles take a bit of getting used to. The one thing that I have trouble with is driving in them - I've found the cleats can get fouled on the pedals which can be dangerous and also that the stiffened soles can stop you ''feeling'' the pedals. Not to be advised. (However, I don't remember ever seeing anybody mention problems with driving in SPDs.)
I had a look at the mtbs on a site and they look quite good and they were down to £25 which seems pretty good. I haven't got loads of walking to do, it's not like I'd be yomping across the downs or sme such. I just want to be able to go into town on my bike and then be able to walk around without discomfort. I'm not looking to walk on air, just a reasonable walking experience. I think the mtbs will be the way I go if when I try them they feel ok. Thanks.

Road shoes are easy to walk in.

haven't had such a laugh in weeks.

You can but the slightest slippy surface and you are on your butt possibly with a fractured ankle.
It also bugger your cleats at fifteen quid a shot.
As mentioned previously, try MTB shoes - I use my Shinano or bontrager street daily no problrm and lot more flexible than my Northwave road shoes.

There are SPD-SL cleat covers you can get from the US.
I got some ice covers for shoes at B&M 2 month ago which are like rubber jesus sandals and just stretch over my road shoes - easy to fold up and take with me.

Norm

I've done a couple of years in the Specialized Sonoma MTB shows and they are fine for walking. The cleat does touch down when walking on a hard surface, which is fine on tarmac / concrete and wandering round the shops, but I'm more circumspect and always remove them when going inside a house.

Top Bottom