Are there any singers whose voice you intensely dislike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Taking this to VAR in case of mitigating factors.....

View attachment 712093

Lifetime ban at the very least.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
OK - got up some courage so I'l say it

Frank Sinatra

can't stand the bloke - really can;t see what the fuss is about
loads of better singers around at the time!
He certainly is hugely overrated. I was watching a BBC4 doc about him and all the talking heads seemed to focus on his 'amazing ability' to sing close to, or further away from the microphone... that was his real skill :wacko: I got the feeling they all thought he was overrated too.

AndyRM

XOXO
Iron Maiden singers who aren't Bruce Dickinson are unfairly maligned IMO. Killers with Paul di'Anno and X Factor with Blaze are two of my favourites.

C R

Guru
Iron Maiden singers who aren't Bruce Dickinson are unfairly maligned IMO. Killers with Paul di'Anno and X Factor with Blaze are two of my favourites.

Yep, particularly Blaze, and he was very good live too. His solo stuff is worth a listen or two.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Fake opera singers who glide ever upwards in search of a note.

There's even a word for it: "scooping". It's generally considered a fault, but can legitimately be done as an artistic choice for effect. Not so good if done all the time because the singer can't pitch the note properly from the off.

As an example of a "fault" used artistically,
though not per se "scooping" in the Clash song, "Stay Free", Mick Jones pitches the last note of each phrase slightly off. Whilst no one would really claim Jones as a "great singer" he does know what he's doing here, and the trick used deliberately adds a lot of power to the angry lyrics and gives emphasis very cleverly

View: https://youtu.be/NHDm4oHee5A?feature=shared

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Yep, particularly Blaze, and he was very good live too. His solo stuff is worth a listen or two.

Yup, he brought a much darker dynamic to the tunes. Virtual XI isn't that great but does have a couple of belters, notably The Clansman which I never think quite works with Bruce.

I like Blaze, he played a tiny little rock bar, Trillians, here a few years ago. Really lovely fella.

If di'Anno had stayed their singer I suspect the band would have lacked the longevity they've enjoyed.

Reactions: C R

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Bruce Guthro. Took over as lead singer of Runrig when Donnie Munro sacked it off, his voice just didn't fit. Died recently apparently, 5 days after his 62 birthday, poor chap.
Sorry to hear about Bruce ,62 is too young. But I lost my enthusiasm for Runrig after Donnie left.

Top Bottom