Are there any singers whose voice you intensely dislike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Will Young.

Seevio

Guru
It's hard to think of any voices that I can't stand. Mostly it's the way they sing that's the problem. That said, I would not die regretful if I never heard Heather Small, James Blunt or Billy Bragg ever again.

yello

Heather Small

One evening years ago, I was in the Spice Of Life club place (what was it called??) on Cambridge Circus, London for an open mic jazz evening. We chatted and drank as various turns did their bit when..... all STOP!!..

... a powerhouse of a voice filled the place, shook the clichéd rafters, demanded we put down our pints, watch and listen. Cripes, I'll never forgot that moment. It was she. An incredibly strong set of pipes that lady has whether one likes the output or no.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thought of another - Trent Reznor. Which is weird, because I really like NIN and his other stuff, but sometimes his voice just doesn't fit and irritates the life out of me. Especially with some of his more recent stuff where he just sounds really whiny.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
One evening years ago, I was in the Spice Of Life club place (what was it called??) on Cambridge Circus, London for an open mic jazz evening. We chatted and drank as various turns did their bit when..... all STOP!!..

... a powerhouse of a voice filled the place, shook the clichéd rafters, demanded we put down our pints, watch and listen. Cripes, I'll never forgot that moment. It was she. An incredibly strong set of pipes that lady has whether one likes the output or no.

After watching Pilgrimage (BBC 2 series of occasional programs) with Heather Small on it (yes, she is a bit of a Diva), I listened again to some M People songs. There is a tendency for producers (IMHO) to add too much to a song, particularly where there is a great voice. M People seemed like a classic case of this. Here was someone with a really fine Gospel voice, but which was partially hidden by the track. Listening again - absolutely perfect voice with no straining at all for the upper register.

The best example of stripping back a song was the cover of Tears For Fears, Mad World. When TfF did it, it was a great song, but the cover for the Donny Darko film took away all the unnecessary instrumentals, and let the words and voice shine through. One of the covers that is light years better than an admittedly very good original.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
After watching Pilgrimage (BBC 2 series of occasional programs) with Heather Small on it (yes, she is a bit of a Diva), I listened again to some M People songs. There is a tendency for producers (IMHO) to add too much to a song, particularly where there is a great voice. M People seemed like a classic case of this. Here was someone with a really fine Gospel voice, but which was partially hidden by the track.

The best example of stripping back a song was the cover of Tears For Fears, Mad World. When TfF did it, it was a great song, but the cover for the Donny Darko film took away all the unnecessary instrumentals, and let the words and voice shine through. One of the covers that is light years better than an admittedly very good original.

Gary Jules for that one. Although it did, in my head at least, start the irritating trend of stripped back covers being used for Christmas adverts. Sometimes they work, sometimes they're just irritatingly twee.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Gary Jules for that one. Although it did, in my head at least, start the irritating trend of stripped back covers being used for Christmas adverts. Sometimes they work, sometimes they're just irritatingly twee.

Indeed. Stripping back really exposes the voice. Suzanne Vega, excellent. Gary Jules, spot on. But if you don't have it, you are utterly exposed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cilla Black. Just listened to one of hers on Guy Harvey's show. A good song by Burt Bacharach but she managed to spoil it.

she's ok in her soft voice, but full volume... YIKES! eg. the first few lines of Alfie, it sounds lovely.

Have mentioned Elton (bloody) John yet? I endured three from him and his goat yodelling at work this morning.

Top Bottom