Are there more 'near misses' recently?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No more than usual for me?

Mind you, I did get deliberatley swiped at by a chav tw*t in a Saxo last night which is the first time for a couple of Months.

I work with 11 other guys and 6 of us are regular cyclists. We travel to work from around Tyne & Wear and I would say that almost everyday one of us have a 'near miss'.
In our wider organisation a fair number have actually be hit by vehicles on the way to work.
I find the main incidents occur at junctions and roundabouts (where we have the right of way) and at pinch point in the road, where motorists are simply unwilling to slow down and try to squeeze past. Larger vehicles tend to cut in to early when overtaking, at times bring the trailer of an HGV within inches.
Makes me wonder why we do it!

Gromit

Über Member
Had my first ever close over take by a bus on Monday, he couldn't wait a few more seconds before pulling in. Wouldn't mind but it was on a really fast road, couldn't do anything about it ether as he didn't stop at any of the bus stops.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I had a white P-reg subaru estate driven by some fat chav go past me last night because I was 'in the middle of the f***ing lane' so I smacked the side of his car which shut him up rather quickly, he then swerved into the oncoming (light) traffic and sped off. I think he was expecting to see me wobble all over the place insted of hitting his shitty old banger and wanting to kick his teeth out!

This has been the only close overtake for a good while, generally roond here seems to be pretty good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing more than usual - fairly quiet period, although I've had a number of people see me, then turn right across my path a few times...no you won't make it without me hitting the car......

Fairly pleasant recently though. (I've probably gone and done it now)....

thomas

the tank engine
I've had some close overtakes this morning, but they weren't that bad compared to things in the past. Don't know if it's getting better or not really. Go through patches.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I went past a building site entrance and it had one of those things with a huge bucket on the front coming out with the bucket tipped up - he couldn't see me at all. How can you drive onto a public road being unable to see ahead!!!

ACS

Legendary Member
I was over taken by a large pick up type 4x4 yesterday who immediately turned left across front of me cutting me up, forcing me to swing violently to the right passing close enough to rear of the vehicle to pat the border collie on the head as I passed. At least the dog appeared to happy to see me.

Mr Pig

addictfreak said:
I find the main incidents occur at junctions and roundabouts and at pinch point in the road, where motorists are simply unwilling to slow down

Second one is the worst for me. I pass loads of traffic islands on the way to work and go along a 60mph stretch for about a mile. I also feel blessed to get home alive every day and feel it's inevitable that I'll get hit eventually. How sad is that? :0(

Top Bottom