Are there really any bargains on ebay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
My bike came from Ebay. A 2010 specialized allez elite, bought in October 2010. I had made up my mind it was what I wanted and found one in the right size, where good deals often require a compromise on spec. Spesh had just reduced the retail price to £799 from £899 as the new models had come out. I got it for £543 on Ebay. It was pretty much unused, the plastic tape wasn't even off the handlebars.

So a £250 saving, with the downside being that I didn't get the warranty support.

I've also seen auction stuff going for over new price though, and find getting bargains hard work. My best deals have all been big ticket items, including a cheap car and a nearly new caravan.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a new 52 (53?) tooth Campagnolo chainring off Globalti on eBay for £5 which was a great deal!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yes - I bought a Raleigh Chiltern for just £19. Some people spend more than that on a tyre!
PICT0064.JPG

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Well......not a bike, but some kit.

I just bought a replica team kit (jersey and bib shorts) from the bay for less than the cost of a decent jersey. Wasn't expecting much but the fit is excellent and the pad in the shorts possibly better than the one in my reasonably expensive Gore shorts.

OK, it took a couple of weeks to arrive from China - but I'm really not complaining and, in fact, about to order another - it's that good.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a 52 cm ali road bike with carbon fork going on Ebay right now, it's up to £72 and I'm hoping to get £200 for it, that will cover the £80 I paid for it and the £120 I spent on refurbing it for Gti Junior. It's actually a really nice little bike, very light and fast, despite being a bit scruffy and Heinz 57 varieties.

Cyclist33

About a year ago I sold my road bike (don't get too excited it only cost me £200 new and I sold it for £100 two years later) so that I could use the money to go for a decent hybrid for my commute to work. I've been really pleased with my new bike (Specialized Sirrus Elite) but it's still not quite the same joy that I used to get from the road bike. To that end I've been scouring ebay for 'the bargain'. I've seen so many stories of people getting a really decent bike for a steal but I've yet to find one....is it out there?

Haven't bought a bike there but got some cracking wheels in okay condition for £35. They wouldve been 150 quid new.

Cyclist33

About a year ago I sold my road bike (don't get too excited it only cost me £200 new and I sold it for £100 two years later) so that I could use the money to go for a decent hybrid for my commute to work. I've been really pleased with my new bike (Specialized Sirrus Elite) but it's still not quite the same joy that I used to get from the road bike. To that end I've been scouring ebay for 'the bargain'. I've seen so many stories of people getting a really decent bike for a steal but I've yet to find one....is it out there?

I'm just "window shopping" on ebay atm and wish I a) lived near Hull and b) had a couple of hundreds spare: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondal...0873590239?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35c12369df

Phoooarrr!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The bargains are definitely there!. Never bid until the last few seconds.....and use a sniping tool like myibidder.
Falcon Westminster as new in Reynolds 531 £78. My wife's Raleigh Pioneer in Reynolds 501 £19.01! ...And checkout the suspension handlebar! !!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352095653405.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352095653405.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352095675863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352095675863.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 34

craven2354

My mum sells hand made bunting she has some buy it now listing and some auction listing people bid more than the buy it now price she once sold one for three times more than the buy it now price some people are just stupid :smile:

I think the bargains are few, but I've had two perfectly agreeable deals which weren't super-cheap but were quite OK.

I think that many punters (not all) are looking for that barn-find super-bargain Colnago for tuppence.

I have a nice-ish HT MTB I got from eBay and for my daughter a Campag-equipped Pinarello Angliru (not a 'proper' Pinarello, but quite lovely for what it is).

Neither cost pennies, but both were cheap and have given excellent service over the years since they were bought.

I use eBay rarely, but if you are realistic about the level of bargain you want, there are gems out there.

I'm amused to see saddles and similar going for almost new retail prices, but that's life.

It does make you realise why (in part) there's so much bike theft out there.... :ohmy:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've bought a pair of 7700 Dura-Ace STIs for £92 and a 7700 Dura-Ace 9 speed derailleur for £35. Setting aside avoiding going to 10 or 11 speed because the 9 speed stuff is discontinued, the price was great for goods in top condition. Gets my vote.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
got various hardly used second hand parts off there, most recently some carbon cranks, at anything from 25% - 30% of the new price. One persons upgrade to the latest kit is my keeping the previous generation going.

Davidc

Guru
There are bargains there, but you have to look and be patient. There are other sites as well with secondhand bikes on them. You have to be careful to check provenance, to avoid stolen ones. You also need to decide what you want and your maximum price, and be disciplined enough not to waver on those.

I bought my Dawes Horizon on ebay 3 years ago. Year old and virtually never used. Paid the owner what he'd paid for it, which was half the price the current model, little different, was being sold for. This suited both of us, so a very good deal, but not cheap. Waited nearly 6 months for that one.

I have more recently bought a Ridgeback Hybrid for a friend who didn't trust herself doing it. 3 years old, not quite new condition. Needed a puncture repaired and the brakes toed-in. New price in known online shops from about £250, paid £45. Waited nearly 4 months for that one.

Currently looking for a Dahon folder. I know the model I want, age range, and how much I'll pay for it. I've been looking for 5 months and still haven't got one, but I will eventually.

Top Bottom