Are these close passes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its getting tight time wise. By the time the discs are received, allocated and viewed they'll have missed to window to issue an NIP. Best they'll get is a warning letter, if that.

I'll stick a tenner on nothing comes of it now.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Its getting tight time wise. By the time the discs are received, allocated and viewed they'll have missed to window to issue an NIP. Best they'll get is a warning letter, if that.

I'll stick a tenner on nothing comes of it now.
Notice of Intended Prosecution has to come within 14 days of the offence, right? Is that what would be called in the US a statute of limitations of 2 weeks for motoring? Are NIPs only for traffic or are there other fields where the police basically are prevented from pursuing offences older than 2 weeks?

Norfolk Constabulary ask for video upload within 72 hours of it, I think, so they stand reasonable chance of hitting the NIP deadline.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5209549, member: 9609"]where did this nonsense come from? When and what was the reasoning behind the decision to set motoring crime into some other parallel universe where the police are in a race against the clock, with any other type of crime they have the rest of your life to catch up with you.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's to cover offences (not involving a collision) where the driver may not remember being on a certain road on a certain date however long ago. It's imagined that, there being nothing out of the ordinary to cause the driver to register the offence, it's not fair to come after him more than 14 days after the event.

If such a period is needed, I think 14 days is way too short.

mjr

[QUOTE 5209549, member: 9609"]where did this nonsense come from? When and what was the reasoning behind the decision to set motoring crime into some other parallel universe where the police are in a race against the clock, with any other type of crime they have the rest of your life to catch up with you.[/QUOTE]
I think it came from a requirement to give the poor downtrodden noble motorist the opportunity to recall the details of the incident before they had driven too much further, from a time when few motorists drove daily. I don't know when it originally started but here's the Lords debating the 21-day NIP requirement in 1930: https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1930/jan/23/road-traffic-bill-hl#column_198

I think it was set at 21 days when there were far more police per motorist and bizarrely it has since been shortened to 14 days instead of lengthened. I feel it needs to be updated more than the cycling offences from the 1800s.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
To be honest I wasn't expecting prosecutions - I will be happy if they get a warning letter - also if I learn where and when to send the stuff then it will be quicker this time ......

West Mids Police. The UKs second largest force in terms of staff numbers so one would hope their website would have a reporting function.

If you were doing 10mph or more, they're committing an offence by overtaking on a solid white line.

I think it’s only an offence to cross the white line, overtaking without crossing the line is not an offence, but that’s not to say a different offence isn’t committed, dangerous driving, or driving without due care

Yes they look close.
To me you look a bit close to the curb, in my experience if you ride further out it forces them to slow down.Try it and see what you think.

That’s what I do, it stops the chancers who would skim past you at speed and once they slow down, you can move left and they can be on their way.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
They do look close. I ride a good metre at least from the kerb so that drivers from the rear have to think about getting past me and move out, rather than thinking they can do so by continuing in a straight line and pushing me to the left. I find I don't get many close passes, but occasionally some idiot still forgets that the cyclist is actually wider then their tyres and still ties to squeeze past with too little room to spare, and occasionally some idiot honks their horn as if you should be in the gutter.

I wonder how many cyclists use a camera? I have sometimes thought about getting one, but have found other things to spend the money on. Any recommendations for good ones, or ones to avoid?

mjr

I wonder how many cyclists use a camera? I have sometimes thought about getting one, but have found other things to spend the money on. Any recommendations for good ones, or ones to avoid?
Please see other threads like https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bar-mounted-camera-any-suggestions.193332/ for camera buying tips. I think this one should be about reporting what they record.

I don't think that many cyclists use a camera (maybe more since Aldi had one in their special offers recently) and even fewer actually report footage to the police. The warnings the police send as you report are pretty scary - basically, you need to be sure you committed no offences, else at best they'll decide it's not in the public interest to pursue anyone and at worst they may ticket you instead.

Dan B

Disengaged member

And who do I report them to (west midlands area)

The 3rd one isn't very clear - but the same 4X4 that got very close to me - then gets very close to 2 more cyclists in front - the cyclists aren't known to me.
I had something the other day that looked quite similar (hard to tell without using the same camera lens of course) but in London. Uploaded video to YouTube (unlisted), filled in the online form at Roadsafe, expected to hear nothing more. Yesterday got an email saying they'd sent out a NIP. Which is nice and even if it goes nowhere at least it may make the driver think next time before deciding he can overtake cyclists without actually steering

It probably helps that it was in a 20 zone and the video shows the 20 warning sign lighting up. I've not had much success with close pass videos previously

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
That’s what I do, it stops the chancers who would skim past you at speed and once they slow down, you can move left and they can be on their way.

Yes that is my usually riding style - thing is after (during) a close pass, my instinct is to move in - so you are gradually forced more and more left.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
They do look close. I ride a good metre at least from the kerb so that drivers from the rear have to think about getting past me and move out, rather than thinking they can do so by continuing in a straight line and pushing me to the left. I find I don't get many close passes, but occasionally some idiot still forgets that the cyclist is actually wider then their tyres and still ties to squeeze past with too little room to spare, and occasionally some idiot honks their horn as if you should be in the gutter.

Depends what you want to use it for :-

if you want it to record longer rides and don't want the hassle of the changing the battery - then the fly 12 is a serious contender with its 10 hours battery life.

If you want top notch quality then the go-pro range is the way to go - but battery life can be as low as 90 minutes

Garmin Virb - has slightly longer battery life around 3 hours I think.

I have the fly12 and I tend to do longer rides - I have seen it as low as £130 - average price is around £160 - good thing is that brackets/SD Card are included in the box - many of the others these aren't. It has its shortcomings but once you get to know it - it is pretty good.

Then there are the unbranded budget options, which some people get on absolutely fine with, others not so much.

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Depends what you want to use it for :-

if you want it to record longer rides and don't want the hassle of the changing the battery - then the fly 12 is a serious contender with its 10 hours battery life.

If you want top notch quality then the go-pro range is the way to go - but battery life can be as low as 90 minutes

Garmin Virb - has slightly longer battery life around 3 hours I think.

I have the fly12 and I tend to do longer rides - I have seen it as low as £130 - average price is around £160 - good thing is that brackets/SD Card are included in the box - many of the others these aren't. It has its shortcomings but once you get to know it - it is pretty good.

Then there are the unbranded budget options, which some people get on absolutely fine with, others not so much.

Thanks for the info. I have thought about getting one after occasional incidents with idiot motorists. The latest one was a couple of weeks ago when crossing a dual carriageway via a roundabout. A car approaching from the left, appeared to be slowing down to give way to me, but then drove out in front of me. If I had been 12 inches further on, I would have hit it. It was an outrageous piece of dangerous, negligent driving. I was incandescent and for the next 20 miles as I rode home I was thinking about a camera so I could report such incidents with evidence in future.

I suppose though, that unless you have one with battery life long enough to leave on for the whole duration of your ride, it could be a matter of chance as to whether you actually capture the incident. In addition, will the police always take on an investigation of such incidents, especially in these days of seemingly everlasting austerity and cuts?

There is of course, also the fun and interest angle of recording certain parts of your ride, which was my secondary, but much lower priority, consideration for getting a camera.

Top Bottom