Bar mounted camera any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I bought one of these direct from the Chilli Techology themselves.

The first camera stopped working after a month or so. I contacted them and they asked me to send in back to them. It took almost a month to get a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement camera was faulty too so I contacted them again. This time they treated me like an idiot untill I advised them of my occupation so they agree for me to send in back to them.

What followed was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They dragged on for many weeks and eventually sent me a refund, not a replacement as I requested.

On the plus side Mrs SG had the same camera which has been going well.

The quality is ok and, during the time mine worked, I was able to use some of the video as part of my claim against a driver. I eventually got one of the original Garmin Virb cameras as a replacement and found it significantly better. Not exactly discreet, but then I dont want it to be.

They are almost double the price though http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-...1080p-action-camera-bike-bundle/10954939.html

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have a Garmin Virb (not the 'Elite', just the standard model. It cost about £70 plus Garmin bar mount and memory card put it a few quid over £100.

It's good quality vid, with 3 hours battery life and 6 hours recording with the memory card I have. It's not what you might call discreet, though you could use it underneath the handlebars if you want and flip the video.

U

User33236

I have a Garmin Virb (not the 'Elite', just the standard model. It cost about £70 plus Garmin bar mount and memory card put it a few quid over £100.

It's good quality vid, with 3 hours battery life and 6 hours recording with the memory card I have. It's not what you might call discreet, though you could use it underneath the handlebars if you want and flip the video.
My Virb sits underneath my bars, more for asthetic reasons, and there is an option in the menus to flip the video so you dont have to later.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm using an MD80 which is basically the veho muvi case with random 808 camera innards and no quality control. Only £5 but expect to get a dud or two. They seem to have puny batteries but can run from a USB power pack.

If I wanted a more discreet camera, I'd get an 808 from a seller reviewed by that Chuck chap. I know these are cheap and lower quality than the go pro and so on, but I only want something good enough to get a number plate or face if all goes wrong.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I was only joking on the helmet comment :evil:

The point I was trying to make is that cameras do not stop things happening. (and are of limited value when they do)

Agree re stopping but if incident recorded and proves fault is with other party as in a cycling mates case it certainly helps with claim

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I was only joking on the helmet comment :evil:

The point I was trying to make is that cameras do not stop things happening. (and are of limited value when they do)

its honestly 50/50. some people will think twice about assaulting you if you have a camera thats recording, At the same time some people get more antagonized by seeing that you have a camera and will assault you just to destroy that video evidence that could potentially put them in hot water with the police.

its honestly 50/50. some people will think twice about assaulting you if you have a camera thats recording, At the same time some people get more antagonized by seeing that you have a camera and will assault you just to destroy that video evidence that could potentially put them in hot water with the police.

I very much doubt anyone knows. We are not speaking about cameras that are obvious - so I might "you nobber I have that all on tape" and then get my head smacked? Whereas the alternative is "you c*nt" and then beat the shite of them? Seems like a few quid poorly spent. :laugh:

Top Bottom