Bar mounted camera any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gert Lush

It pretty much mounts & looks just like this one.

dsc_0991.jpg

Im using a cheap K-EDGE replica though which cost me £3.67 and not £40

Oh right, that's cool. Might get myself one of these, cause why not? :smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
just took delivery of my GoPro Hero4 Session. Definitely destined to be attached to the helmet given its small size!!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Here is ride home part 3 - Part 1 & 2 was nothing but me fumbling around with my garmin edge for 10mins wondering why I couldnt get it to hook up to a satellite, Later on i found out that cameras create all sorts of electrical interference as they operate and thats what was messing with my Garmin - its a well documented issue.

For some reason, i feel that the quality of this video was much better then the first one i uploaded. picture seems to be a little less blotchy/grainy

Things to note:

00:23 - cyclist (to the right of the bus - you can just barely see him) doing a wheelie as an ambulance goes past.

01:30 - SP10 WKT, Grey Vauxhall Zafira performed a close pass on my right to get ahead of me at an oncoming pinch point only to stop at a set of traffic lights less than a minute down the road.

07:35 - MX58 HWW, Royal Mail truck did a rather close pass. I was looking through his window at the traffic lights to see if he might of been on his phone but he wasnt.

------

My route to and from work is always full of potholes and such. so badly maintained!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Later on i found out that cameras create all sorts of electrical interference as they operate and thats what was messing with my Garmin - its a well documented issue.
Is that unique to Garmins? I've not noticed my phone GPS tracker app being disrupted by my camera.

07:35 - MX58 HWW, Royal Mail truck did a rather close pass. I was looking through his window at the traffic lights to see if he might of been on his phone but he wasnt.
He might have just been shocked that a cyclist wasn't a pedal-width from the kerb any more. ;) I see from the video that it isn't just you, but most of the cyclists videoed seem to spend far too much time riding far too close to the kerb and stopped vehicles for my liking. There's at least one riding between the double-red lines and the kerb! :eek: I guess that might help explain why I got unusually much aggro riding down the mostly-bus-lane CS7 a while back - I rode in primary or secondary, not the gutter.

Dodgy riding position isn't really the cyclists' fault: it looks like most of the cycle lanes you videoed aren't wide enough for a proper position, which encourages a misconception (for both motorists and cyclists) that people should cycle in the gutter; and a lot of the junctions don't seem to have any way to get to the advanced bike stop line without kerb-skimming. :sad:

Wasnt quite sure how to mount it.
How about on the handlebar? ;)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Is that unique to Garmins? I've not noticed my phone GPS tracker app being disrupted by my camera.

Im not 100% certain but i would assume so - Heres a little video just to show an example, though rather than send my GPS signal out of whack like the guy on the video, I couldnt connect up to any satellites at all so 0% signal for me. I had more or less the exact same combo mount but obviously a much cheaper replica of the K-Edge (those things are ridiculously overpriced for what is technically a small stick of aluminum)

He might have just been shocked that a cyclist wasn't a pedal-width from the kerb any more. ;) I see from the video that it isn't just you, but most of the cyclists videoed seem to spend far too much time riding far too close to the kerb and stopped vehicles for my liking. There's at least one riding between the double-red lines and the kerb! :eek: I guess that might help explain why I got unusually much aggro riding down the mostly-bus-lane CS7 a while back - I rode in primary or secondary, not the gutter.

Dodgy riding position isn't really the cyclists' fault: it looks like most of the cycle lanes you videoed aren't wide enough for a proper position, which encourages a misconception (for both motorists and cyclists) that people should cycle in the gutter; and a lot of the junctions don't seem to have any way to get to the advanced bike stop line without kerb-skimming. :sad:

Theres a time and place for riding in primary - Normally when approaching pinch points or narrow roads where I feel that my own safety is at a serious risk by vehicles trying to squeeze past me, I try not to hug the kerb too much while im rolling but yes the cycle paths are rather narrow and that doesnt really change unless its one of those fancy cycle superhighways which Mr Boris Johnson has worked so hard to get put in. I think He's planning to have cycle superhighways through out all outer london boroughs that connect to central london so heres to hoping things might change.

How about on the handlebar? ;)

SJ4000 clone is already on the bar, GoPro is for the helmet!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just a short note that I wrote "or secondary" and didn't suggest riding in primary all the time, which seems to be what's argued against. But getting back to the topic of cameras:
SJ4000 clone is already on the bar, GoPro is for the helmet!
Don't do it unless it's a manufacturer-approved mount - you don't want a GoPro to be the last thing to go through your mind!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Don't do it unless it's a manufacturer-approved mount - you don't want a GoPro to be the last thing to go through your mind!

Im going to throw caution into the wind here and say i'll be just fine.

It cant be any worse than this which has a bit of a stem to it before it reaches the camera

adhesive-helmet-mount.jpg

the fitting itself should snap off under any serious impact - theres nothing that can be 'driven through my skull' the way i have mounted it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
So having used the GoPro once on my commute heres my verdict so far. for daylight recording its great, colours are pretty good and dont look washed out, for night time though, unless youre within 2-3 meters away, you wont be able to make out a number plate, but thats ok - This headcam was to record interactions with other road users anyway and the SJ4000 clone should capture number plates pretty well.

Mic is pretty good, Not too much 'woooosh'ing' going on when going down drops at over 20mph. Mic is also quite sensitive and pics up quite a lot of the surrounding noises - people talking on the street or two cyclists having a conversation about 1-3m away. Annoyingly it even pics up my huffing and puffing when i go up small hills and inclines.

Its early days yet but so far i am pretty satisfied with the result.

Reactions: mjr

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well. After going on on a few rides with the new go pro mount on the bar. Even though the camera and the Garmin Edge are still at least 20-30cm apart, it still messes with the Garmins ability to quickly connect to a satellite & stay connected. Ive had no choice but to remove the SJ4000 from the bars and have it attached at the back of my seat rail using another cheap K-Edge replica. Hopefully now the Garmin should be able to operate without any interference.

SJCam M10+ is still yet to arrive so i will be testing that out as soon as its here.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I just pushed the buy button on a SJCam M10 non-wi-fi version on Amazon at £40. Riding through the floods this morning would have made a fun film and I may end up catching some dork motoring on it too. Certain to catch some dork cycling as it'll be on my bike !

I plan to fit it on the bars upside-down as this looks more discreet than on my helmet.

Reactions: mjr

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I just pushed the buy button on a SJCam M10 non-wi-fi version on Amazon at £40. Riding through the floods this morning would have made a fun film and I may end up catching some dork motoring on it too. Certain to catch some dork cycling as it'll be on my bike !

I plan to fit it on the bars upside-down as this looks more discreet than on my helmet.

Apparently M10's (non-wifi versions) have an issue where if you press/push too hard where the usb port is that it ends up 'going into' or 'popping into' the camera itself.

Also things might come out a little pink

Top Bottom