Bar mounted camera any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OOI what video setting are you using? I normally go with 1080p 25fps (PAL).

its on fast hd 720p 60fps

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Just pulled the trigger on an SJCam M10+. From reviews on YT it seems pretty decent. I was originally going to go for a Gopro Hero4 Session but non-replaceable battery really limits the overall longevity of the device. One of the minor downsides though Is the battery life will never be as good as the Hero4 Session which is estimated to be able to squeeze at least 2hrs out of compared to the 80-90mins of the SJCam

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just pulled the trigger on an SJCam M10+. From reviews on YT it seems pretty decent. I was originally going to go for a Gopro Hero4 Session but non-replaceable battery really limits the overall longevity of the device. One of the minor downsides though Is the battery life will never be as good as the Hero4 Session which is estimated to be able to squeeze at least 2hrs out of compared to the 80-90mins of the SJCam
i get just over 3 hrs on the Virb which is long enough for my rides , keep us posted @RoubaixCube

Reactions: mjr

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive also just bought a Go Pro Hero4 Session on a whim - Its small and compact so it will go nicely on my helmet. I'll probably run it at 720p as its really there just to record any interactions I happen to come across with other road users.

I will experiment though. I might end up putting the M10+ on the seat post facing behind me and have the Hero4 session as the only forward facing camera instead of being on the bar attached using a K-edge but we shall see.

the Hero4 session should be delivered tomorrow. depending what time it gets here i might take it out for a ride with me and see how it does. There will be rain pretty much all morning to late afternoon so it will probably be dark if i decide to go out for a small circuit. Video is still pretty good at night according to this video

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@Gert Lush

Just a video of the SJCam Clone during daylight/slightly sunny conditions. Note the nobber at 4:00 who decides he can't let me pass first before indicating the very moment he decides to left hook and not a second before.

I used a frame/border housing for the camera instead of the waterproof case so there's a fair amount of noise.

The Indoors part at the start of the video does look very yellow, but this is a widespread and widely documented issue that exists with the original SJ4000's also

It took YT all night to process this clip but im currently uploading another 10min clip to show slightly darker overcast conditions so who knows when that will be up,.

::EDIT::

date on the camera was also wrong but that has been corrected now :tongue:

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Roubaix cube ,seems good to me do you have a link where you bought ? Thanks

Here.The price has gone back up to £28 now. I paid £23 as it was on a lightning deal. Original Qumox SJ4000/SJ M10/M10+ batteries are compatible with this camera so you wont have any problems having spares for longer rides, Its definitely worth picking up extra batteries (you'll want at least 4 :tongue:)

Since its shipped from China, It will take a while for it to arrive but faster shipping is available if you care to pay for it. Original SJ4000's still go for around £50 so youre still getting quite a fair deal for what is literally the same product.

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks I'll give one a go

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Note the nobber at 4:00 who decides he can't let me pass first before indicating the very moment he decides to left hook and not a second before.
To be frank, it looks like you spend so much of the time so far left on the white/yellow edge lines or in too-thin cycle lanes that I'd assume you were turning left too ;) but maybe that's just the camera making it look like that.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
To be frank, it looks like you spend so much of the time so far left on the white/yellow edge lines or in too-thin cycle lanes that I'd assume you were turning left too ;) but maybe that's just the camera making it look like that.

Heh, I guess that's a legitimate point, though he still seems a little impatient even if i was turning left, most cyclists i come across would probably of waited behind/next to or just slightly in front of me. Theres no dancing around the fact that he still cut across me but Ive experienced a lot worse from other cyclists.

Anyway, ive changed the mounting around a little so newer clips (still uploading some previous footage) should feel a little more centered (hopefully)

Its going to bug me now, but for 1080p its actually quite fuzzy/blotchy. I was expecting something a little sharper, colours seem a little washed out also.

Oh, and black cabbie jumping a red at 10:00 on the footage :tongue:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Heh, I guess that's a legitimate point, though he still seems a little impatient even if i was turning left, most cyclists i come across would probably of waited behind/next to or just slightly in front of me. Theres no dancing around the fact that he still cut across me but Ive experienced a lot worse from other cyclists.
Yeah, it's not the best or the worst, but given you passed him setting off, I assumed he just kept rolling. Were you trying to force him to stop for some reason? I don't understand why you stopped against the left kerb to go straight on, instead of the middle of the lane.

Oh, and black cabbie jumping a red at 10:00 on the footage
Can't see that before the "next video" ads appear. I was just hoping you'd get past before that lorry moved left!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Yeah, it's not the best or the worst, but given you passed him setting off, I assumed he just kept rolling. Were you trying to force him to stop for some reason? I don't understand why you stopped against the left kerb to go straight on, instead of the middle of the lane.

I wasnt trying to force him to stop. I stopped against the left kerb for two reasons. First being the cycle lane starts a few yards ahead and secondly im not that fast off the start line. Last thing i need are angry shouts from cab drivers telling me to get out of the way!

Gert Lush

@Gert Lush

Just a video of the SJCam Clone during daylight/slightly sunny conditions. Note the nobber at 4:00 who decides he can't let me pass first before indicating the very moment he decides to left hook and not a second before.

I used a frame/border housing for the camera instead of the waterproof case so there's a fair amount of noise.

The Indoors part at the start of the video does look very yellow, but this is a widespread and widely documented issue that exists with the original SJ4000's also

It took YT all night to process this clip but im currently uploading another 10min clip to show slightly darker overcast conditions so who knows when that will be up,.

date on the camera was also wrong but that has been corrected now :tongue:

You know I really don't think that's bad at all! Sure it's not like perfect quality but you are moving at it's not wobbling too much.

What does it look like on the bike?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
You know I really don't think that's bad at all! Sure it's not like perfect quality but you are moving at it's not wobbling too much.

What does it look like on the bike?

It pretty much mounts & looks just like this one.

dsc_0991.jpg

Im using a cheap K-EDGE replica though which cost me £3.67 and not £40

Top Bottom