Bar mounted camera any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

It's not a 'problem' isolated to VIRBs

The VIRB uses a FAT file system (as do many others), and one of the limitations of that file system is that there's a maximum single file size of about 4 Gb. So when the VIRB reaches that limit it seamlessly starts another file.

You can easily put them back together in VIRB Edit or with other video software, and in practice its far easier to deal with serveral smaller files that one huge one

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's not a 'problem' isolated to VIRBs

The VIRB uses a FAT file system (as do many others), and one of the limitations of that file system is that there's a maximum single file size of about 4 Gb. So when the VIRB reaches that limit it seamlessly starts another file.

You can easily put them back together in VIRB Edit or with other video software, and in practice its far easier to deal with serveral smaller files that one huge one

ok thaks for that info so why do i get 5 x files that must overlap each other as that seams strange but hey

D

Deleted member 23692

It's difficult to say without seeing the camera for myself.

Are you running the latest software in it? (version 4)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And it must be waterproof if you were out this morning! I looked out of the curtains and went back to bed... :ohmy:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And it must be waterproof if you were out this morning! I looked out of the curtains and went back to bed... :ohmy:
Its fully waterproof out of the box, no extra casing is needed unlike the gopros

I have mine set up to run break rides down into 15min chunck....easy to put back together in virb edit. I have the virb xe which cane with tons of different mounts and has built in gps too :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Its fully waterproof out of the box, no extra casing is needed unlike the gopros

I have mine set up to run break rides down into 15min chunck....easy to put back together in virb edit. I have the virb xe which cane with tons of different mounts and has built in gps too :smile:
I've been out in the rain with it before with no problems (as long as the charging flap at the back is closed, it's rated as rainproof).
I have Virb edit as well. Nice easy program to use.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
after a lot of faffing about i think i am finally getting to grips with the Virb , just need to work out the editing .

Picture quality is great

after a lot of faffing about i think i am finally getting to grips with the Virb , just need to work out the editing .

Picture quality is great

I have a VIRB (bike mount + two battery bundle) - very pleased with it. To begin with I found the battery would die with about 40% battery life showing on the level indicator, but it turned out that all that was necessary to fix this, was a one off complete discharge (by recording something), followed by a long o/n charge... I use it inverted under the handlebars, and the quality is good - probably having front 28mm tyre at ~75psi (recently) helps with any vibration issues. 100psi 23mm tyres in gloomy conditions with rough road surfaces can be challenging. I've used it it in the pouring rain, and it coped fine. Have contacted some companies with video clips of poor driving and generally had positive responses. On non commute rides I use it to capture some 'interesting bits', and time lapse is fun; last year I did a time lapse of a 100mile charity ride, using an attached USB battery pack in a tribag. I use the free VIRBedit software, but kept with the older version as I didn't like the revamped newer offering...

A few of my videos if interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbPhRUVj7jeQjZY6E3qIQ1g

Last edited:
What's it like in the darkness?
picture quality is good cant fault that , relays on the street lights etc etc for lighting but its there
Agree, it's pretty good. I have noticed that passing car reg plates are generally unreadable; not a big issue. I think it's just an unsurprising 'blown highlights' thing i.e. a well lit plate with mostly black surround, but not sure...

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Agree, it's pretty good. I have noticed that passing car reg plates are generally unreadable; not a big issue. I think it's just an unsurprising 'blown highlights' thing i.e. a well lit plate with mostly black surround, but not sure...

Must admit all the ones I have looked at are readable when you pause the playback

Top Bottom