Are they having a laugh ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
It was free to download to anyone

50000tears

Sportives aren't a race, if I new a road race or tt was on I wouldn't ride there as I don't race and wouldn't want to get tangled up in it. Sportives are completely different.

If you ride that route regularly, or going that way anyway, then you could have a valid point. But to deliberately upload the route data to you Garmin and join in a paid for event a few miles down the road for free is somewhat low. Public roads or not, the cars are not trying to join in with the sportive, whilst you most certainly are.

Of course people cannot start an event themselves, that costs time, money, expertise etc. it is lot easier to just moan and groan about things as that takes very little effort.

Having organised events for about 20 years up until 8 years ago when I got fed up with the moaning do nothing whingers I know a little of what is involved.

Without knowing the costs involved we have no idea of the profit margins involved and lets face it there is risk there.,

I run a number of ad hoc rides here, as well as running rides for Sustrans for which I have to do things by the book, with risk assessments, so I've got a vague inkling of what's involved.

Two years ago, I looked into the MoonRiders charity events, when they seemed to have got the idea of a night ride to Brighton from somewhere, but run it as a commercial event linked to raising money for charity. After speaking to the various charities involved, from each rider, the firm behind it got between £70-£95 per rider. Nearly 1,000 took part last year I understand, with limited marshalling. Public liability insurance would be peanuts compared with the total income for the organisers.

Running sportives must be profitable or else there wouldn't be a year on year increase in the numbers being run, many by new organisations. Which all seem to sell out.

screenman

Legendary Member
There's a vast difference between a sportive and the others. A chasm in fact.
I think you read me wrong, the point is I know the difference very well. The point is although different they are all events that people have organized or entered.

screenman

Legendary Member
FD, I would not run a business without wanting to make a profit, maybe you shoulf carry on organising and make them larger.

400bhp

Guru
I think you read me wrong, the point is I know the difference very well. The point is although different they are all events that people have organized or entered.

You're looking at it from a different perspective, from the organiers point of view. I am looking at it from the participants point of view.

Alls fair in business.

Where someone is competing then its insane to gatecrash, when participating on an open road, different story.

50000tears

There was a case not that long ago where a group of unregistered riders stuffed their faces and pockets with the food at check-ins on an organised ride - I forget whether it was a sportive or an audax. That is completely out of order in my book. But as the person you are addressing says they took their own food, and rode a route on a public road, I really don't understand what your point is here.

The point is simple. They would not have gone if not for the opportunity to ride with others in a mass participation event. Therefore the saw some value and fun to be had in that. This fun came at a price set by the organisers which they dodged. Yes not as bad as taking free food too but still low IMO.

screenman

Legendary Member
Wrong again I am looking at it more from the participants viewpoint. As I posted it is something I was taught 45 years ago.

400bhp

Guru
Wrong again I am looking at it more from the participants viewpoint. As I posted it is something I was taught 45 years ago.

Well we will disagree. You are a participant in a sportive. You are not competing so it's not important if someone gets in your way. You have no idea if the fellow next to you has paid the same amount as you to ride his bike on a bit of tarmac that is free to ride or cycle on at any time.

Turning up and going into a private area (e.g. the food stops) then different story.

jayonabike