Are we allowed to swear on this forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did, and it didn't come up.

self-gratification artist
Piss
daffodil
fark
farker
Bastard
shoot
Try these seven words.

[QUOTE 4828845, member: 43827"]I'm genuinely not disapproving but I just don't get the swearing thing, other than trying to fit in with the group.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I swear too much (mild Tourette's :whistle:) and often, and in three languages. But I do (somehow, and quite successfully) moderate it depending on whose company I'm in.

Also, I've played a lot of team sport and worked on building sites, which presents more opportunity for swearing.

I can't think of a day where I haven't (probably) sworn in over 35-40 years.

And I can't imagine that I've been awake very long every day before the first profanity escapes.

Can I by-pass the swear filter by adding a Billy Connolly video about his views on swearing??

Don`t worry, I wont but as the great man says, You never read "fark-off, he hinted!" lol

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was trying to explain Cockney rhyming slang to a Frenh cycling friend, in particular ones that had lost the rhyming part of the pair (e.g. "loaf" has lost the "bread" part that rhymes with "head"). Anyway, thinking that there were more like that that I couldn't remember, I googled them, and I found out that "berk" is not an inoffensive term... Berkeley Hunt...

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 4828845, member: 43827"]I'll come out and admit here that I don't feel comfortable swearing so I don't do it, other than the odd use of mild words such as bugger (so that is a bit of a cop out I suppose).

In my late teens I worked as a labourer for three summers on Wimpey building sites and I took a lot of stick for my mild language, which they attributed to my being a "posh" student.

One aspect I can never understand is selective use of swearing. One of the drinking group I hang out with is a primary school head and his language is heavily littered with the strongest swear words, yet he never swears if our wives are present, and I assume he doesn't swear like that in front of the kids. So he chooses to swear in one environment but not in others. I know my Dad used to swear like a trooper in work and with his mates, but I never once heard him swear at home.

I'm genuinely not disapproving but I just don't get the swearing thing, other than trying to fit in with the group.[/QUOTE]
Your probably right. I have never once used a swear word in front of my wife or parents when they were alive, but I think that was just a respect thing. After 30 odd years on construction sites and oil rigs my language at work is very different. It's a deliberate choice, when I use it and when I don't, and I find it very easy to slip between the two.

Hmmm, I swear too much (mild Tourette's :whistle:) and often, and in three languages. But I do (somehow, and quite successfully) moderate it depending on whose company I'm in.

Also, I've played a lot of team sport and worked on building sites, which presents more opportunity for swearing.

I can't think of a day where I haven't (probably) sworn in over 35-40 years.

And I can't imagine that I've been awake very long every day before the first profanity escapes.
Same here. Swap building site for stables and we're on a par. I always seem to swear more when subconsciously I feel I shouldn't.

Top Bottom