Are we allowed to swear on this forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Calling someone an arseferret is so much better than calling them a daffodil.
Although 'Son of a motherless goat!' has a certain prosaic charm.

EDIT - sorry sorry sorry. What gets substituted to peanut? It's obviously not prick or penis. Is it dick? Cock?

Yes.....Motherhater! I couldn't believe my ears when i heard that dub on the film
Silence of the lambs Hannibal Lector once asked Claris what the psycho in the other cell had said to her. I can smell your...perfume according to ITV s dubbing :thumbsdown: that was some years ago i think they have grown up since.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It didn't take long at all - and isn't anywhere near as comprehensive as the list in the research paper ... :eek: ^_^
TBF, there's chunks of it, the racist stuff and what have you, that go beyond schoolyard sniggering and I expect would require a rather more robust approach than a simple censoring of the word in question.

Jody

Stubborn git
Has anyone here ever really heard twat used to refer to genitalia? This always struck me as rather iffy folk-etymology, that everyone believes but no-one has used or heard themselves (apart from in jest).

Yes but only a couple of times.

I'm sure I read a work of Dada brilliance once that consisted solely of a list of words and phrases removed by the censor from Alfred Jarry's Ubu Roi. It ended with something magnificent along the lines of, "Stand up, Jock, and take a sh1t in the foc's'le." Unfortunately a cursory search didn't unearth such a list, so I might have imagined it.
Orthogonally, someone I knew collated many of the euphemisms in a TV friendly version of Robocop to create a work of fiction he called "Ticked off mother-crushers from heck"

There's something a little insidious about the censorship here. Most words are modified so it's easy to work out what the original word was. There are three I am aware of that are completely changed, so you can't even guess what the original word. Those 3 are all about the most obvious parts of the body a penis may be inserted. It's such a heterosexual male thing, that anything that might be receptive to a penis is disgusting - indeed, the most disgusting thing you can say.

On the other hand, penises are lovely and don't need censoring at all (unless they include another banned word): cock dick penis willy farkstick bellend scrotum ballsack jism foreskin

Also, apparently, we are peachy keen with the n-word, which is also not censored. I'm not writing it, either way.

Tin Pot

Guru
Has anyone here ever really heard twat used to refer to genitalia? This always struck me as rather iffy folk-etymology, that everyone believes but no-one has used or heard themselves (apart from in jest).

Yes, I have heard it.

I was hoping that the reason is not that it is disgusting but that using it as a term of abuse is.
But why is it a term of such abuse (this is about our culture, not @Shaun)? How is it that there is no more disgusting thing you can call someone than daffodil, peanut and ********er?

Just testing arse. Yup. That's ok. So is hole. So is cock and so is sucker.

Amusingly, I discovered peanut was censored when I was describing ridiculous USA censorship that replaced peanut (or probably peanut) with "airhead". Of course, by the time the auto censors had finished with it, it was completely bowdlerised. Edit: As is this paragraph.

Tin Pot

Guru
But why is it a term of such abuse (this is about our culture, not @Shaun)? How is it that there is no more disgusting thing you can call someone than daffodil, peanut and ********er?

Amusingly, I discovered peanut was censored when I was describing ridiculous USA censorship that replaced peanut (or probably peanut) with "airhead". Of course, by the time the auto censors had finished with it, it was completely bowdlerised. Edit: As is this paragraph.

There's too much emphasis on "the worst" rude word. The issue is that genitalia are used as swear words at all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Also, apparently, we are peachy keen with the n-word, which is also not censored. I'm not writing it, either way.
Any post containing a racial slur is likely to be so offensive that the entire post will be deleted and possibly the poster sanctioned, so the word itself has no requirement for censorship.

Cubist

Still wavin'

It is indeed due to our culture. Other Anglophone countries and cultures have different insults. The UK Anglo Saxon insults tend to focus on sexual bodyparts. Jamaican insults focus on bodily functions, such as bumboclaat and bloodclaat, which to us are reasonably mild, yet offensive to Jamaicans.

See also the word daffodil which is one of only two actual obscenities in UK case-law. In Spanish, for example, the directly translatable
coño is considered only mildly vulgar, and is used in different contexts. A Spaniard using it in exasperation is our equivalent of shouting "damn!. Similarly in French; The word "con" again translates directly, but the offence with which it is used is worlds apart from the impact of calling someone a daffodil in the UK.

Attachments

• UT.jpg
    UT.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom