Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I doubt that is true.
ICE cars have been around for 100 years - but somehow there's a magic improvement thats been cancelled by the announcement of EVs ?
Who told you that ?

And as the sales of EVs increase - what would have been an ICE car with magically lower emissions - well an increasing proportion of those are now EVs with zero emissions.

Several car manufacturers and other experts in the field. EV's do not have zero emissions, far from it.

Several car manufacturers and other experts in the field. EV's do not have zero emissions, far from it.

EV's do have zero emissions - certainly at the vehicle level. I know some people even manage to run their EV's off of their own solar panels - so it's clearly the future. Despute what unnamed car manufacturers and 'other experts' in the field told you down the pub.

Chislenko

Veteran
It's the mindset again. People are used to filling up when you're out. With the EV 99.9% of my journeys will be with no stops as I've charged at home.

As I have said before cougie, it is horses for courses and depends on personal circumstances. I think we all understand that it suits your life but may not suit others.

In my last year at work I did 40k miles. Under no circumstances could I have done that in an EV, some of my trips just to my first port of call would have drained the battery.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances, you may be very fortunate and have a short commute. I would have loved to commute by bike but my nearest branch was 52 miles each way and my furthest 163 miles each way.

Then of course there is the issue of company cars.

Do any companies have a system yet for reimbursing employees for the electric to charge at home, I don't know, perhaps in the public sector but I can't see it in many owner driver companies.

Then as I have mentioned before, availability of at home charging, is there off road parking, how many occupants of the house own a car and want to get on the drive and charge etc.

Obviously you are a convert and it would appear have the circumstances to be able to make the switch, not everybody is in such a position so I think a bit of give and take from both sides is called for.

I don't hate EV's they are just not practical for me at present.

As I have said before cougie, it is horses for courses and depends on personal circumstances. I think we all understand that it suits your life but may not suit others.

In my last year at work I did 40k miles. Under no circumstances could I have done that in an EV, some of my trips just to my first port of call would have drained the battery.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances, you may be very fortunate and have a short commute. I would have loved to commute by bike but my nearest branch was 52 miles each way and my furthest 163 miles each way.

Then of course there is the issue of company cars.

Do any companies have a system yet for reimbursing employees for the electric to charge at home, I don't know, perhaps in the public sector but I can't see it in many owner driver companies.

Then as I have mentioned before, availability of at home charging, is there off road parking, how many occupants of the house own a car and want to get on the drive and charge etc.

Obviously you are a convert and it would appear have the circumstances to be able to make the switch, not everybody is in such a position so I think a bit of give and take from both sides is called for.

I don't hate EV's they are just not practical for me at present.

40k a year is a huge distance - you're making up the average for me not driving to work at all for the last 30 odd years.
Things will change though - your job wouldn't have existed without the motor car - it'd be good if the future involved less travel for everyone - I think the pandemic already shows that people don't always need to be in an office to work.

EVs will get a bit more range and a bit more affordable but a 40k year in any vehicle can't be easy surely ?

As has been said - ICE cars will be around for a good few years yet.

EV's do have zero emissions - certainly at the vehicle level. I know some people even manage to run their EV's off of their own solar panels - so it's clearly the future. Despute what unnamed car manufacturers and 'other experts' in the field told you down the pub.

Nope. They don't, not even at the point of use.

I very much doubt you'd meet any of the people I've spoken to, and certainly not in a pub, and they are experts in a variety of associated fields, which you, quite clearly, are not.

icowden

Veteran
Nope. They don't, not even at the point of use.
Go on then. What do they emit, and where do they emit it from? Does your mobile phone also emit greenhouse gasses? How about your TV? Your kettle?

Go on then. What do they emit, and where do they emit it from? Does your mobile phone also emit greenhouse gasses? How about your TV? Your kettle?

Particulate for one. They also contribute to an increase in ground level ozone, due to the reduction on other gasses that normally react to reduce it. Both are more harmful than the emissions they replace.

Indirectly, the list is much longer. They are not 'green'. :okay:

The rest of your post is too ridiculous to answer.

I notice few have responded to the socially divisive aspect of the push to EV's, which leaves the wealthy contributing far less to the upkeep of the roads that the poor will be unable to afford to use. That money is going to have to be found from somewhere.

This will be me soon. Application has gone in for 80kW array ☀️☀️
Well, that’s lovely for you to:
1. Have the money for an 80kW array
2. To have the SPACE for an 80kW array
3. To have the money/employment/whatever to allow you to have a posh EV

There are many out there, including in this discussion, who, I suspect, are not as fortunate.

There is still also the fact that, if I spend a good chunk of my retirement fund on an EV that meets my needs, the powerful diesel, which I would trade in, will still be out there using fossil fuels and generating emissions and taking up road space. Not really a benefit to the environment then. Perhaps I’ll keep it.

Seems to me that there are some fortunate or wealthy evangelists on this thread who have little empathy with other motorists of more modest means

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Well, that’s lovely for you to:
1. Have the money for an 80kW array
2. To have the SPACE for an 80kW array
3. To have the money/employment/whatever to allow you to have a posh EV

There are many out there, including in this discussion, who, I suspect, are not as fortunate.

There is still also the fact that, if I spend a good chunk of my retirement fund on an EV that meets my needs, the powerful diesel, which I would trade in, will still be out there using fossil fuels and generating emissions and taking up road space. Not really a benefit to the environment then. Perhaps I’ll keep it.

Seems to me that there are some fortunate or wealthy evangelists on this thread who have little empathy with other motorists of more modest means

Why not be happy that someone is doing something good for the earth and themselves ? No one is making you do anything like that.

D

Deleted member 26715

Based on the assumption that electric generated is from fossil fuelled power stations

However nearly 50% of UK energy is from renewable sources.
Which is a converts way of saying over 50% isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom