Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Life cycle analysis clearly shows that the overall impact of EVs is substantially lower than ICE cars.

I've previously posted links; perhaps those who are claiming otherwise could substantiate their position?

D

Deleted member 26715

Well let's all not bother trying to improve the atmosphere, nature, wildlife. Hell it might even benefit the odd human
i would love to & try where I can, I only drive if I have to, but I think you are under some illusion that because you are driving an EV that you are doing less damage that I. When asked a question about the damage your vehicle has done before ownership you avoid answering as it's not convenient.
Life cycle analysis clearly shows that the overall impact of EVs is substantially lower than ICE cars.

I've previously posted links; perhaps those who are claiming otherwise could substantiate their position?
Post them again as I've not seen them, so far I have not seen any evidence (not marketing) that an apple EV over it's life time will be better than an apple ICE. Seen a couple of marketing apple EV to an orange ICE after production which of course was skewed highly in EV favour.

roubaixtuesday

i would love to & try where I can, I only drive if I have to, but I think you are under some illusion that because you are driving an EV that you are doing less damage that I. When asked a question about the damage your vehicle has done before ownership you avoid answering as it's not convenient.

Post them again as I've not seen them, so far I have not seen any evidence (not marketing) that an apple EV over it's life time will be better than an apple ICE. Seen a couple of marketing apple EV to an orange ICE after production which of course was skewed highly in EV favour.

So, you don't have any evidence for your opinions. Interesting. I'll do a search of my own posts to find the links. Perhaps read them.

So did the machines & the boats that dragged the precious metals in your batteries twice around the world before you got it

And every time you fill up god knows how many tankers and boats have sailed and driven thousands of miles to deliver your petrol. Plus they use lithium in the refining of it.
Whereas I'm on a renewables tariff - I'm happy to pay a bit more for clean energy.

D

Deleted member 26715

And every time you fill up god knows how many tankers and boats have sailed and driven thousands of miles to deliver your petrol. Plus they use lithium in the refining of it.
Whereas I'm on a renewables tariff - I'm happy to pay a bit more for clean energy.
You seem to be very defensive, I have no issue with you using your EV if you are in a position to use one, but please don't preach to us who are not in your position, as I said earlier if you have the disposable income or gullible enough to go PCP then good luck to you. Others do not have that option, however you still haven't address the total life of the vehicle & the environmental impact it has.
That's great it talks about emmisions however it fails to reflect on the total life of the vehicle & the environmental impact it has.

But they at least have the decency to admit.

• Comparisons between electric vehicles and conventional vehicles are complex. They depend on the size of the vehicles, the accuracy of the fuel-economy estimates used, how electricity emissions are calculated, what driving patterns are assumed, and even the weather in regions where the vehicles are used. There is no single estimate that applies everywhere.
But the question is also who are the car manufacturers doing this for you & the environment or their profit margin, I'm an old cynic but I know the answer to that one.

roubaixtuesday

You seem to be very defensive, I have no issue with you using your EV if you are in a position to use one, but please don't preach to us who are not in your position, as I said earlier if you have the disposable income or gullible enough to go PCP then good luck to you. Others do not have that option, however you still haven't address the total life of the vehicle & the environmental impact it has.

That's great it talks about emmisions however it fails to reflect on the total life of the vehicle & the environmental impact it has.

But they at least have the decency to admit.

• Comparisons between electric vehicles and conventional vehicles are complex. They depend on the size of the vehicles, the accuracy of the fuel-economy estimates used, how electricity emissions are calculated, what driving patterns are assumed, and even the weather in regions where the vehicles are used. There is no single estimate that applies everywhere.
But the question is also who are the car manufacturers doing this for you & the environment or their profit margin, I'm an old cynic but I know the answer to that one.

Your reply is laced with conspiratorial thinking and devoid of facts.

You have strong opinions on the subject.

Back then up with facts, or others will see them as mere prejudice.

D

Deleted member 26715

Your reply is laced with conspiratorial thinking and devoid of facts.

You have strong opinions on the subject.

Back then up with facts, or others will see them as mere prejudice.

LIGF what others think of my opinions, but at least I am open minded, but I do believe in it's current form EV is not the answer, if anything it is a distraction, it ticks the boxes for a few in middle England, but they will not solve the real world wide problem, EV drivers are the deckchair arrangers on the Titanic.

Gillstay

Über Member
LIGF what others think of my opinions, but at least I am open minded, but I do believe in it's current form EV is not the answer, if anything it is a distraction, it ticks the boxes for a few in middle England, but they will not solve the real world wide problem, EV drivers are the deckchair arrangers on the Titanic.

Deckchair arrangers would be the end of the line as the ship sunk but hoefully EV's are a staging post to where ever we end up next. We dont know what may come next but Ev's have merit as they are a step forward. The regular car of today is going backward as they get bigger and heavier. The mpg figures and no longer improving, if anything the faux SUV fad is making matters worse.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can any of them be plugged into a charging point and be driven (used) whilst charging?

Only with a really really long cable :biggrin:

There don't appear to be cars with a dynamo type arrangement (ie charge while moving). Plug in hybrids presumably can use petrol if the battery is flat?

Can any of them be plugged into a charging point and be driven (used) whilst charging?

It's the mindset again. People are used to filling up when you're out. With the EV 99.9% of my journeys will be with no stops as I've charged at home.

It's only an electric socket you need to charge. And electric is a fraction of petrol or diesel cost.

Deckchair arrangers would be the end of the line as the ship sunk but hoefully EV's are a staging post to where ever we end up next. We dont know what may come next but Ev's have merit as they are a step forward. The regular car of today is going backward as they get bigger and heavier. The mpg figures and no longer improving, if anything the faux SUV fad is making matters worse.

The irony of that is that ICE emissions would have reduced considerably by now if they hadn't announced the future ban. The minute they did, the manufacturers understandably stopped the roll out of pending improvement and shelved research into further improvements.

Emissions are higher now than they would have been had the ban not been announced, and it will take decades for current ice cars to drop out of the market, so we end up with the emissions associated with the production, use of EV's, on top of the increases from the existing fleet.

There isn't enough 'green' (it's not) energy to fuel the industries that have signed up for green fuel, never mind the EV's to come.

Oh, and it's all socially divisive, as it's only an option for the wealthy, who end up paying less fuel tax and VED, so the poor fund the roads that they can't afford to use.

Last edited:
The irony of that is that ICE emissions would have reduced considerably by now if they hadn't announced the future ban. The minute they did, the manufacturers understandably stopped the roll out of pending improvement and shelved research into further improvements.

Emissions are higher now than they would have been had the ban not been announced, and it will take decades for current ice cars to drop out of the market, so we end up with the emissions associated with the production, use of EV's, on top of the increases from the existing fleet.

There isn't enough 'green' (it's not) energy to fuel the industries that have signed up for green fuel, never mind the EV's to come.

I doubt that is true.
ICE cars have been around for 100 years - but somehow there's a magic improvement thats been cancelled by the announcement of EVs ?
Who told you that ?

And as the sales of EVs increase - what would have been an ICE car with magically lower emissions - well an increasing proportion of those are now EVs with zero emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom