Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Eeee, those new fanged washing machines don't sound like your 5.0 !

Yeah but........................It's not mine. (on loan only) :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes. They still have the normal 12v battery for all of that.

didnt james may have issues where he left his tesla where the secondary battery was behind a load of body panels to get over lockdown ?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yes I think they work off the 12v system not the HV system.

I watched a range test on Carwow the other day. Think it was four EVs, driven until they died. All "low battery" warnings were ignored and supressed until they ground to a halt.

Maybe a joke, or maybe some weird circumstances, but one of the cars also managed to flatten its auxilliary battery, with the result that the electronically operated flap over the charge port couldn't be opened!

Gunk

Guru
I can’t understand why modern cars are completely stranded when the battery is flat. They can’t be put into neutral and the bonnet and boot can’t be opened.

didnt james may have issues where he left his tesla where the secondary battery was behind a load of body panels to get over lockdown ?

I don't know but I do know he's got a lot of cars so I'd think it's not an issue for most people. I'm sure there would be signs.

Our 12v battery ran flat in lockdown too. Wife sitting in the car talking to family in the next car along. Would have been fine if she'd not turned the car off.

Luckily you can jump start like a normal car.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't know but I do know he's got a lot of cars so I'd think it's not an issue for most people. I'm sure there would be signs.

Our 12v battery ran flat in lockdown too. Wife sitting in the car talking to family in the next car along. Would have been fine if she'd not turned the car off.

Luckily you can jump start like a normal car.

All my vehicles that have a battery are on Ctek battery maintainers whilst not used. My oldest original battery is 16 years old, still going strong

CXRAndy

Guru

If I understand correctly, by having the battery pack not fully charged, the vehicle discharges and tops up periodically and will also charge the 12V battery. The reason I know this, my model S is less often used , but is plugged in all the time with around 50-60% main battery charge. I've not had a problem with using the car even if it was parked up for a few months during winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom