Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I watched a range test on Carwow the other day. Think it was four EVs, driven until they died. All "low battery" warnings were ignored and supressed until they ground to a halt.

Maybe a joke, or maybe some weird circumstances, but one of the cars also managed to flatten its auxilliary battery, with the result that the electronically operated flap over the charge port couldn't be opened!

Just think of Carwow as Buzzfeed for cars. Who cares if its genuine as long as it gets the ads viewed.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just think of Carwow as Buzzfeed for cars. Who cares if its genuine as long as it gets the ads viewed.

It's the first I've heard of Carwow. Don't think I know Buzzfeed!

figbat

Slippery scientist
No, if you lift off gradually the car will slow but not illuminate the brake lights. I can't tell you at what level but I do know the brake lights don't come on every time

There is a specification for when brake lights have to show based on deceleration rate. My MINI shows brakes lights for any level of regen.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You won't get regen braking if the battery is full - so you'd have to brake as normal.
In practice though - you rarely charge your battery to full - so it's not really an issue. I think I charge mine to full once a month or so ?

My MINI has around 10% of ‘unusable’ battery capacity which is used for various things, like regen when ‘full’ and emergency get-you-safe power when at 0% SOC. If the battery is truly full it simply mimics regen braking with friction brakes, no need to touch the pedal.

CXRAndy

Guru
Lunchtime journey, placed car in adaptive autocruise, didn't touch the brakes until I arrived at the destination

20230209_110302.jpg

Slightly better than predicted range

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sorted mine already:

Very nice!

I have a friend with a Highland green 'Bullit' version - very rorty!

CXRAndy

Guru
years ago we lived and worked in close proximity.

That was true, back in the day people would walk to work, school even from several miles away. Now I people driving less than one mile to take kids to school.

We live in the countryside-nearest city 18 miles, nearest town 9 miles, add in school runs and mileage racks up. Only a few more years, then our miles will plummet.

Looking forward to spring/summer where we can go for our shopping on our bikes along the tow paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom