Are we too judgmental as cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So i have been away to darkest Lancashire.Now on a Tuesday the aged In Laws go to Poulton le Fylde to a very nice chippy restaurant.It is a very nice journey pretty fast on two very busy roads,but not today.The second of the roads goes to Fleetwood with big wagons using it.Now today it was chocka block full.All junctions were busy so much so it took an extra thirty mins to get there.Cars,vans,lorries and wagons were stationary for long periods.It was then i saw mobile phones being used ,and i mean a lot,but not by the wagon or lorry drivers.Some of the car drivers were so engrossed with their phones they did not notice there was a massive gap in front of them as the traffic had moved on.Now this went on for miles.All ages both sexes,even Mrs Postman who was a passenger today,commented on it.I offered an opinion that the person on the other end of the line should be charged if the driver is caught using the phone as they are as guilty as the driver for engaging the conversation.Or should i as a cyclist keep my nose out,seeing as we also have our bad cyclists like today a chain gang three and four wide over a narrow road.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Many cyclists are also motorists and we are all human beings, with our faults. Nobody is perfect.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Many cyclists are also motorists and we are all human beings, with our faults. Nobody is perfect.
That's why we as a society need to make decisions about what level of collateral damage we are prepared to accept as a consequence of our imperfection. For motoring, that decision was made in 1896 when a jury returned a verdict of accidental death in the case of Bridget Driscoll.

Slick

Guru
So i have been away to darkest Lancashire.Now on a Tuesday the aged In Laws go to Poulton le Fylde to a very nice chippy restaurant.It is a very nice journey pretty fast on two very busy roads,but not today.The second of the roads goes to Fleetwood with big wagons using it.Now today it was chocka block full.All junctions were busy so much so it took an extra thirty mins to get there.Cars,vans,lorries and wagons were stationary for long periods.It was then i saw mobile phones being used ,and i mean a lot,but not by the wagon or lorry drivers.Some of the car drivers were so engrossed with their phones they did not notice there was a massive gap in front of them as the traffic had moved on.Now this went on for miles.All ages both sexes,even Mrs Postman who was a passenger today,commented on it.I offered an opinion that the person on the other end of the line should be charged if the driver is caught using the phone as they are as guilty as the driver for engaging the conversation.Or should i as a cyclist keep my nose out,seeing as we also have our bad cyclists like today a chain gang three and four wide over a narrow road.
I don't think so. It's easy to pretend we're all perfect, it's everyone else that's in the wrong but I really think the standard of driving I see is definitely on the wane. I have made mistakes on the bike, with one incident in particular when I cut out in front of a van driver and his reaction really surprised me. He hardly flinched, didn't really bother with my attempt at an apology either, he just went about his business. The difference for him of course, if we did collide the chances are I would hardly scratch the underside of his chassis.

...Some of the car drivers were so engrossed with their phones they did not notice there was a massive gap in front of them as the traffic had moved on....

we also have our bad cyclists like today a chain gang three and four wide over a narrow road.

Which is more likely to cause death or injury to another person, a car driver engrossed in Watsapp or Twitter while driving, or cyclists riding 4 abreast?

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes we are too judgemental and too conceited; cyclists generally feel they have the moral high ground and feel victimised by drivers.

On mobile phone use, I believe that the majority of drivers do now conform with the law despite the fact that there is almost zero chance of a random catch by Police, which tells me that the majority do understand that using a phone is dangerous. However when stuck in a traffic jam and going nowhere, most don't see any harm in making a call or texting ahead to warn that they are delayed. There are of course exceptions to this, as always.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nobody is perfect
I used to be very big headed but now I'm just perfect. :tongue:

The old ones are the best

snorri

Legendary Member
.Some of the car drivers were so engrossed with their phones they did not notice there was a massive gap in front of them as the traffic had moved on.
Does it really matter when in slow moving or stationary traffic if one car is not hard up against the vehicle in front?
Applying the hand brake and phoning ahead to inform of failure to keep an appointment due to traffic conditions could calm the nerves of the driver which would contribute to safety on the roads.:smile:
Edit to say...Yes I know it could be illegal, but there are worse things........

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There are many ifs and buts that can be applied to anything regarding safety. Cyclists riding 4 abreast; a car could not see them (blind bend, brow of a hill etc) and swerve head-on into oncoming traffic if they don't feel they can stop in time I'd argue that this poses more of a risk than a person texting whilst stationary in a car. But the law is the law. In that situation I'd side with the cyclists, as they are not breaking the law, and the stationary texter is.

With so many variables diving about, we can only look at black and white facts to make any judgement, and in this case using your phone whilst stationary is still illegal. I remember in my younger days (20 odd years ago) I was looking down fiddling with a CD or something, and thought I was at a standstill but in fact I was inching forward. This may have caused an accident if a pedestrian were walking in front of me, so I suppose there is still a danger in being distracted at still/low speed.

stephec

Legendary Member
Was that the big queues on the A585?

The roadworks have gone now so it's back to normal racetrack conditions on there today.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Sometimes drivers in cars I would term as "boy-racer" style vehicles kindly let me out at junctions, and other nice gestures- makes me feel bad for the way I pre-judge people based on their car looking a bit "sporty".

Top Bottom