Are you a fat middle aged cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you define middle age in 2023?
What do you count a 1942 model as?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My body is 64, but my mind is 30. I dont look at myself as being old. At 84kg, I am not fat. But if I were 74kg, I would still be saying I could do to lose 5kg.

I enjoy cycling. Its a great way to see things and explore areas in depth. But it also does wonders for my mental health.

Gwylan

Veteran
Re fat, overweight or whatever.

A nutritionist i worked with long ago told me that a jam sandwich has about 250 cals.
Cycling, at my pace, uses about 30 cal per km.
So, when I go out the first 8 km is using up my breakfast.
The moral is increase the consumption of calories with exercise. But real success comes from moderating the intake.
I could cycle faster, but that's not my thing.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I got fatter when l stopped running
I probably put 2 stone on

I ride to work, on average 9 working days out of 10, & have quite a physical job, but still can’t shift it

I’ve become more and more office bound / looking at jobs / quoting and quantifying jobs H+S wise 🙄….than actual ‘doing’.

As the years pass (I’m 51 now) - it doesn’t fail to amaze me how 3 weeks working physically every hour God sends and eating moderately and healthily, seemingly gets cancelled out by a couple of days of carefree relative over indulgence 🤷‍♂️

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Our GP classes patients as Old when they hit 70.

So at 66 I am still Middle Aged - albeit Very Late Middle Aged.^_^

a.twiddler

Veteran
At my age, as it seems I'm now officially too old to die young, there only remains the mind body problem when it comes to motivatng myself to go for a ride.
The mind body problem.jpeg

As a fat, middle aged cyclist I'd much rather have my 45 year old mind than my 20 year old fitness (back then, I did 250 miles a week and was properly fit - pretty good by club standards).

Getting older is a privilege denied to many, and I intend to do all the things I can to enjoy myself. Cycling's a big part of that.

I’ve become more and more office bound / looking at jobs / quoting and quantifying jobs H+S wise 🙄….than actual ‘doing’.

As the years pass (I’m 51 now) - it doesn’t fail to amaze me how 3 weeks working physically every hour God sends and eating moderately and healthily, seemingly gets cancelled out by a couple of days of carefree relative over indulgence 🤷‍♂️
I’m 57 now

When l was at my fittest/skinniest, l was probably about 9st 12 (l’m about 5’9”)

Not too long ago, when we’d been talking about weight gain/loss (she’d lost about 4 stone)
l showed one of the Nurses a photograph of me, aged about 50-52
I did warn her that all l had on was shorts, she wanted to look

She still tells me, she thinks of me in a different light now:laugh:

Top Bottom