Are you a fat middle aged cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TK421

Casual Extremist
bald and short,
Unfortunately I tick those boxes too, mother nature can be cruel on the hair follicles. And gravity, oh boy!

Besides which, "fitness" is a strange thing.

I am fairly overweight. In the past I used to drink a LOT.

I'm healthy (blood pressure normal, no issues in my last check up) and my diabetes is in remission just by eating better.

My best friend was a rowing instructor and very fit. We had our annual New Years Day walk three years ago and he said he couldn't finish his Christmas dinner, it felt like there was something stuck in his stomach.

It was oesophogeal cancer. He died aged 43, the day before his daughter's sixth birthday. He will forever be gorgeous.

Fitness and healthiness are different things. Everyone should remember that.

o/~ you took the words right out of my mouth... o/~

To be fair, I can answer yes to both of the OP's questions😒

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Yep. At 66 now and 84kg, I fit the description of Mr. YouTuber Happy fat guy riding for fun. But as many here, I too don’t feel old at 66, maybe at 70, we’ll see. Mom & Dad passed at 80 & 82, I’ll be happy with 81 and don’t want to see the far side of 85.

I totally believe that even a large quantity of regular, rigorous riding doesn’t do squat for weight loss, but for general health and MOST OF ALL mental health and feeling happy it’s GREAT! I ride for fun. The rest is all gravy.

I also believe we’re gonna be the size we are almost no matter what, and most things physical with us are genetic, so there’s no need to really sweat it. It won’t do us much good.

I was a vegetarian for over a decade and it hardly changed my physique a bit. Same with frequent alcohol consumption over a long time. Now 100% dry for 17 or 18 yrs, no fried foods, less red meat than chicken, still ridding’ both my old school steel mtn bike and lightweight hybrid Trek, yet slowly gaining weight as sure as the sun rises. Okay, I get it, that’s just the way it goes.

Same with high BP & cholesterol. I’ve had both since I was 27. Both under control ever since with meds. Mom and Dad had both too, AND diabetes. Same with my sis, but she was insulin dependent and died at 55. Obese, diabetic, ate anything fried, drank like a horse, smoked like a chimney. I don’t have diabetes yet (or didn’t have before the pandemic, we’ll see what the GP says after my visit in Feb.)

If I make it to 81 I’ll be happy. Any extra yrs after that will (hopefully) seem like a bonus. Hopefully I’ll still have my mind too. If not, I won’t know anyway. After that it’s my time to check out.

How about you, Cycleops? What’s your take on this thread you started? I suppose you’re not as fat as us Yanks (heaven forbid, right?)

Until whenever my time comes, I’ll continue to ride as long as I still can for the same reason, because it makes me feel good. :laugh: :dance:

Gwylan

Veteran
Yep. At 66 now and 84kg, I fit the description of Mr. YouTuber Happy fat guy riding for fun. But as many here, I too don’t feel old at 66, maybe at 70, we’ll see. Mom & Dad passed at 80 & 82, I’ll be happy with 81 and don’t want to see the far side of 85.

I totally believe that even a large quantity of regular, rigorous riding doesn’t do squat for weight loss, but for general health and MOST OF ALL mental health and feeling happy it’s GREAT! I ride for fun. The rest is all gravy.

I also believe we’re gonna be the size we are almost no matter what, and most things physical with us are genetic, so there’s no need to really sweat it. It won’t do us much good.

I was a vegetarian for over a decade and it hardly changed my physique a bit. Same with frequent alcohol consumption over a long time. Now 100% dry for 17 or 18 yrs, no fried foods, less red meat than chicken, still ridding’ both my old school steel mtn bike and lightweight hybrid Trek, yet slowly gaining weight as sure as the sun rises. Okay, I get it, that’s just the way it goes.

Same with high BP & cholesterol. I’ve had both since I was 27. Both under control ever since with meds. Mom and Dad had both too, AND diabetes. Same with my sis, but she was insulin dependent and died at 55. Obese, diabetic, ate anything fried, drank like a horse, smoked like a chimney. I don’t have diabetes yet (or didn’t have before the pandemic, we’ll see what the GP says after my visit in Feb.)

If I make it to 81 I’ll be happy. Any extra yrs after that will (hopefully) seem like a bonus. Hopefully I’ll still have my mind too. If not, I won’t know anyway. After that it’s my time to check out.

How about you, Cycleops? What’s your take on this thread you started? I suppose you’re not as fat as us Yanks (heaven forbid, right?)

Until whenever my time comes, I’ll continue to ride as long as I still can for the same reason, because it makes me feel good. :laugh: :dance:

It's not how long you last it's what you put into the time you've got.

Top Bottom