Are you a real cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I knicked this quote but I can't remeber where from.

"I'm not a serious cyclist but I am serious about my cycling"

I ride one of my cycles no matter what the weather is. Yesterday morning I 'arrived' with ice on gloves, hat, knees and socks, but I didn't mind at all. The ride was great and I was warm.

:biggrin:

walker

I know I'm a real cyclist as I wear Lycra everytime I ride :biggrin:

People I count as not being a cyclist but just a person on a bike are:

People who fail to use lights of a night time, you deserve to be hit you pillock.

Those who have bikes that squeak more than a factory of mice.

Red light Jumpers, do it once, ok, but do it all the way into work you will get knocked off.

the nutter who rides a big enough bike but doesn't know that he has to highten his seat, not knowing long term knee injury is on it's way

Mortiroloboy

walker said:
I know I'm a real cyclist as I wear Lycra everytime I ride :biggrin:
People I count as not being a cyclist but just a person on a bike are:

People who fail to use lights of a night time, you deserve to be hit you pillock.

Those who have bikes that squeak more than a factory of mice.

Red light Jumpers, do it once, ok, but do it all the way into work you will get knocked off.

the nutter who rides a big enough bike but doesn't know that he has to highten his seat, not knowing long term knee injury is on it's way

Oh , and that too!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
craigwend said:
I've decided I'm not:
not because I've never toured
done a sportive /audax
never raced
only commute when the weather is nice (spring to autumn)
never get the miles in I intend
failing to use the turbo (to address the above)
don't understand half the things people talk about...
no the reason is, the bloke I drive past on his gas-pipe tubed, down-tube shiftered, at least 20 year old (probably 27" wheeled) 'racer' - going home everynight the other way, yesterday it was -6!!!!!!
I'm a wimp! not a real cyclist

If you enjoy riding your bike then you are a real cyclist! As for "don't understand half the things people talk about..." - some of those posters don't understand what they are writing about, they belong to the BBB School of Cycling!

Mortiroloboy

mr_hippo said:
If you enjoy riding your bike then you are a real cyclist! As for "don't understand half the things people talk about..." - some of those posters don't understand what they are writing about, they belong to the BBB School of Cycling!

Go on then, what's this stand for?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a non cyclist rides a bike out of necessity (they can't drive or whatever), a cyclist because they want to, and see riding the bike as an end in itself, not a means to an end.

the lycra, audax yada yada yada stuff is just detail.

Mortiroloboy

alecstilleyedye said:
a non cyclist rides a bike out of necessity (they can't drive or whatever), a cyclist because they want to, and see riding the bike as an end in itself, not a means to an end.
the lycra, audax yada yada yada stuff is just detail.

Well put.

biking_fox

Guru
Agree with most of the above.
Another definition attempt:

A real cyclist:
is someone who enjoys being on the bike!
is someone who doesn't manage to cycle as much as they want to!

All the rest is details - and categories of real. After all a committed off-roader is just as real as the audax rider

craigwend said:
I've decided I'm not:

not because I've never toured

done a sportive /audax

never raced

only commute when the weather is nice (spring to autumn)

never get the miles in I intend

failing to use the turbo (to address the above)

don't understand half the things people talk about...

no the reason is, the bloke I drive past on his gas-pipe tubed, down-tube shiftered, at least 20 year old (probably 27" wheeled) 'racer' - going home everynight the other way, yesterday it was -6!!!!!!

I'm a wimp! not a real cyclist

Would you please leave the forum. All of the above apply to me and there's only room for one wimp cyclist here. :smile:

Mac66

I don't own a car and cycle everywhere in all weathers. That either makes me a real cyclist, someone who is poor, or someone who is stupid . Or all 3?

Mortiroloboy

mr_hippo said:
BBB = Bullsh1t Baffles Brains. People who use pseudo-techno babble to 'impress' those with less 'knowledge' than they allegedly have! Found in most walks of life.

Gotcha! Yep I know a few people like that, I suggest that we all do. :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
none of those things mean you're not a real cyclist. Touring is impractical for most of us unless you're a teacher, layabout or for some other reason enjoy the luxury of weeks or months on end off work at once.
<snip>

Most people on here talk bollocks.

Including you most of the time. 'Touring' can be a week, it can be a weekend if you want - touring is riding from one nights accommodation to another, away from home. Yes, it can go on for weeks, months, years even, but neither of the tours I've done have been longer than a week.

Top Bottom