Are you a real cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
Touring is impractical for most of us unless you're a teacher, layabout or for some other reason enjoy the luxury of weeks or months on end off work at once.

Bonj, mate, can I invite you to wake up and sniff the caffeinated beverage of choice? Touring can be multi-month epics, or can be a weekend, or anywhere in between. If you're cycling somewhere with some clothes, toothbrush and whatever, staying the night, and going home again the following day, that's potentially a tour in my book. I've often been touring, but never for more than a week. Doing that this summer, as it goes - 5 days round Lake Constance. Hardly epic, but it's touring. So was the week going down the Danube (yes, on the towpath, not in the river!).
Try it. You may well like it.:blush:

spesh

The purpose of the ride doesn't matter.

The number of gears and whether you have a freewheel mechanism doesn't matter.

Whether or not you wear lycra doesn't matter.

The frame material doesn't matter.

Any argument that we employ to kid ourselves that we are more of a "real" cyclist than the next person doesn't matter.

Just so long as you ride...

And that is the only thing that matters. :wacko:

djmc

Über Member
Cyclists are people who ride bikes tourists, racers, little old ladies going to the shops should all be included. I would also include those who would like but are not able to ride a bike. One shouldn't try to justify degrees of reality.

bonj2

TheDoctor said:
Bonj, mate, can I invite you to wake up and sniff the caffeinated beverage of choice? Touring can be multi-month epics, or can be a weekend, or anywhere in between. If you're cycling somewhere with some clothes, toothbrush and whatever, staying the night, and going home again the following day, that's potentially a tour in my book. I've often been touring, but never for more than a week. Doing that this summer, as it goes - 5 days round Lake Constance. Hardly epic, but it's touring. So was the week going down the Danube (yes, on the towpath, not in the river!).
Try it. You may well like it.:smile:

well, you're not going to get very far in a weekend - are you, might aswell just drive. IN fact come to think of it that could be a definition of a real cyclist. A casual cyclist is someone who cycles short distances, and drives long distances. But a real cyclist is somebody who unless there is a reason why it is necessary to drive, drives short distances and cycles long distances, . A long distance being anything over 10 miles. IN other words, what's the POINT in cycling a two mile distance? You're hardly going to even get warmed up. Unless you're twatting along on your pub bike.

bonj2

People who cycle short distances and cycle long distances are excused, as are people who drive short distances and drive long distances. But those people that cycle, but think that there exists an invisible glass wall after 10 miles definitely do not deserve to be classed as 'real' cyclists.

He's lost it. Someone call an ambulance.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I feel that Bonj has really lost the plot this time. A real cyclist is anyone who rides a bike for whatever reason. As for touring, It could entail cycling from home, cycling to the station to get a train, getting a coach, driving with a bike on the back and then touring around. A tour is whatever you make it. A day, a week, a month. You don't have to cycle X amount of miles a day to qualify as a real cyclist.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Paulus said:
Bonj, good morning. What is a pob?

No, 'pobs'. Pobs is bonj's cousin, he's like bonj, only due to an unfortunate inbreeding incident, he's even loopier.

RT - let's not waste an ambulance, it'll be bin day soon, and they'll pick him up.

Top Bottom