Are you a real cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
In my family, pobs were given to sick children when they could not eat properly during illness - Pieces Of Bread Soaked in milk. Couple of torn up slices of white bread in a cereal bowl, fill the bowl with hot milk and sprinkle sugar on it and don't forget to leave the crusts on or you won't get curly hair!

bonj2

you know what pobs are for god's sake, i didn't invent the bloody term:rolleyes:
Mainly chavs on halfords bikes wtih crap plastic top crowns (the really offend me), bmxes with no road sense or just anybody really who isnt' using a bike as a mode of transport but just messing about on it. They usually stay on the pavement but often do veer into the road for anything up to a minute or so.
Tell-tale signs are no road sense, no lights, etc etc.

and it's should HAVE, not should OF.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
bonj said:
well, you're not going to get very far in a weekend - are you, might aswell just drive. IN fact come to think of it that could be a definition of a real cyclist. A casual cyclist is someone who cycles short distances, and drives long distances. But a real cyclist is somebody who unless there is a reason why it is necessary to drive, drives short distances and cycles long distances, . A long distance being anything over 10 miles. IN other words, what's the POINT in cycling a two mile distance? You're hardly going to even get warmed up. Unless you're twatting along on your pub bike.

Well, I may as well just drive everywhere! It's the journey, not the destination.

No offence, Bonj, but I've been a real cyclist since I was 14. And I don't need you to tell me I'm not. Come out cycling with me (pm me to arrange this, it's a genuine offer;)) and then we'll see what's what. Loser buys the bacon rolls!
Really, Bonj. Lets do it.:thumbsup:

bonj2

TheDoctor said:
Well, I may as well just drive everywhere! It's the journey, not the destination.

No offence, Bonj, but I've been a real cyclist since I was 14. And I don't need you to tell me I'm not. Come out cycling with me (pm me to arrange this, it's a genuine offer;)) and then we'll see what's what. Loser buys the bacon rolls!
Really, Bonj. Lets do it.:rolleyes:

I'm not saying anyone that never rides more than 10 miles "isn't a real cyclist".
I'm just saying IN GENERAL, driving a short distance is hardly going to use up any fuel anyway and you're going to spend half as long getting your cycling clothes on than you are actually riding the damn thing.

well where do you live? :biggrin: but the fact that you say 'loser' implies you're proposing a cycling RACE. Well I dont' do races. For me cycling isn't a sport, but an enjoyable activity. but if you're up this neck of the woods then i'll be up for a ride

Arse on leather qualify?
2007_0419Trek0002.jpg

;)

Yorkshireman said:
Arse on leather qualify?

for those S&M hobbyists, it's probably more leather on arse to qualify...

gbb

Legendary Member
Its all a matter of degree craig...
On the good side...
I do commute 80% of the time. The only time i wont is if its really raining. Showers, snow, wind, frost, fog etc etc i dont mind (too much)
I do ALL my own maintenance (and repair plenty of other peoples as well)

On the bad side...
I've never competed or raced. (no desire to..too old)
I dont use the turbo enough. (Doesnt matter..its just a way to keep in tone if i'm off the bike)
I do go through periods where i dont really do that much mileage. ( Doesnt matter...if the desires not there, i use it as a rest period or use the time equaly importantly on something else...its all good time)

Nevertheless, i consider myself a cyclist. I love the ownership, fitness, freedom and the interest they give me...ooer, i'm beginning to sound a bit fanatical.

littlered

Well I count myself as a cyclist as I cycle, and thats about it.
You are a driver if you drive, a jogger if you jog, a tennis player if you play tennis. You can see where I'm going with this dont you:biggrin:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
MY BROOKS SADDLE

View attachment 451

has made me ‘REAL!’.

If nothing else started a good debate...

Just having a miserable time;
a long cold (man flu)
back problems (slipped disc - though advised to cycle for exercise!!!)

and just very bloomin cold, and wishing I could get out more.

cheers all

Top Bottom