Are you an ex cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was an ex cyclist in my mid 50s for 2 years after contracting (apologies...it must be getting a well worn story now ) TB, pneumonia, pleurisy then hives as I was so run down.
1st year back I managed around 200 miles total, 2nd maybe 1000 and so on.

Each year gets a bit better, at 60 now I'm determined es to keep cycling but it'll never be anything like it used to be (50 mile rides at 16 to 18 mph average, 80 mile ride maximum, push push push. ) nowadays it's more like 20 to 30 mile rides at a more modest 14 mph..,
I've come close mentally to packing it In a few times...but I get a bit stir crazy if I do t have anything to do.

I used to cycle everywhere, did tts etc, and then life got in the way and I stopped when I was 26. I got back ino it 5 years ago when I was 42 and I have suffered a few accidents that stopped me for a while (tear in lower aorta, and a broken neck in seperate accidents) I suffer periods of not enjoying it so much, but on average get 6000 miles in every year, while the majority are now commuting. I detest driving, I prefer the freedom cycling gives me.

CXRAndy

Guru
Cycling gives me a great mental lift. I need about 30 mins of riding and I feel great for tbe rest of the day. I can just switch off the worries of the day whilst on a bike.

Ive had several physical set backs which kept me off riding for 6 months at a time but was elated to get back in my bike

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I came back to cycling at the age of 32 when I returned from working in France and moved to Lancashire. Did 21 years of mountain biking, lost interest then discovered road cycling at age 53 and went on to a much higher level of fitness. Now aged almost 63 and still fit and well despite the last 6 months off the bike following the collar bone break. Happily there's nothing permanently wrong with me so I expect to be back to full fitness this summer.

Top Bottom