Are you gay?

Are you gay?

• Yes I am proper gay.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I once had a drunken fondle but I dont dwell on it.

• I swing both ways.

• No, I am not remotely gay.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
SamNichols said:
I regularly get thought of as such (seriously), but no I am not. On Friday night I had a middle-aged gay guy blowing kisses at me across a crowded bar: I think it's because our eyes met at some point earlier, and he took that as a come-on (but, as documented, I have no idea of social codes and all that stuff, so any lead on was unintentional). So, no I am not, but people seem to think I am. Perhaps I should wear less pink or something.
Here's a hint: Never stray more than an arms length away from your bike when in full lycra kit;)

Tetedelacourse

We probably have more gay members than black people here. Why is that? (I mean why is it that black people don't cycle / take part in cycling forums, not why are there more gay people than black people).

LLB

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I am Bi, as opposed to 'swinging both ways'

• Yes I am proper gay. Because there is nothing subtle about homosexuality, folks - they are either raving, or in the closet.
  • I once had a drunken fondle but I dont dwell on it. Because being gay is wrong
  • I swing both ways. Bit of a larf, no-one can seriously stake a claim to liking both, they are just horny zarks
  • No, I am not remotely gay. Because I am decent, and proper, and I would damn well disown my son if he ever turned out to be one of those nancy-boys

I'm mildly offended by the wording of the poll, and the above says in italics exactly what you wrote says to me.

If this poll was done in jest, I may have missed the punchline! But if it is serious, it is kinda offensively worded, I think.

Well, I'm kind of offended by the assertion that if my kids were gay but I'm not, that I should treat them differently :tongue:

My eldest daughters best mate is a lesbian, and whilst she has always shown an interest in boys, I'd not think any less of her if she did go the other way.

You can't help who you fall in love with !

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I am Bi, as opposed to 'swinging both ways'

• Yes I am proper gay. Because there is nothing subtle about homosexuality, folks - they are either raving, or in the closet.
  • I once had a drunken fondle but I dont dwell on it. Because being gay is wrong
  • I swing both ways. Bit of a larf, no-one can seriously stake a claim to liking both, they are just horny zarks
  • No, I am not remotely gay. Because I am decent, and proper, and I would damn well disown my son if he ever turned out to be one of those nancy-boys

I'm mildly offended by the wording of the poll, and the above says in italics exactly what you wrote says to me.

If this poll was done in jest, I may have missed the punchline! But if it is serious, it is kinda offensively worded, I think.

Jac I'm genuinely surprised that you find the wording offensive, and it wasn't done in jest. A light hearted tone isn't the same thing as taking the pish. I certainly don't recognise any of the sentiments you have attached to the questions. Half of my best friends are wooly woofters or lezzers and half are breeders. Perhaps you could show me how you would prefer it to be worded.

linfordlunchbox said:
Well, I'm kind of offended by the assertion that if my kids were gay but I'm not, that I should treat them differently :tongue:

My eldest daughters best mate is a lesbian, and whilst she has always shown an interest in boys, I'd not think any less of her if she did go the other way.

You can't help who you fall in love with !

I wasn't making that assertion llb, what I wrote in italics is what the four catagories said to me, I was trying to explain (badly it seems) how I was offended by the wording of the questions.

In the wording of the four catagories the one you have highlighted says to me just that. "I am not remotely gay"... because is it wrong / disgusting / (insert and other commonly used word)

Apologies for any confusion.

mickle said:
Jac I'm genuinely surprised that you find the wording offensive, and it wasn't done in jest. A light hearted tone isn't the same thing as taking the pish. I certainly don't recognise any of the sentiments you have attached to the questions. Half of my best friends are wooly woofters or lezzers and half are breeders. Perhaps you could show me how you would prefer it to be worded.

Sorry mate, I don't know why it affected me like that, I don't think you should change the wording, I think that maybe I should chill out. I'm pretty stressed with exams and other issues at the mo, and I think I overreacted.

No harm done?

Patrick Stevens said:
It does if you're considering having sex with them. :tongue:

That's a bit of upside down thinking Patrick. :angry:

LLB

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I wasn't making that assertion llb, what I wrote in italics is what the four catagories said to me, I was trying to explain (badly it seems) how I was offended by the wording of the questions.

In the wording of the four catagories the one you have highlighted says to me just that. "I am not remotely gay"... because is it wrong / disgusting / (insert and other commonly used word)

Apologies for any confusion.

No worries, I'll get off my high horse then :tongue::angry:

barq

Patrick Stevens said:
It does if you're considering having sex with them. :tongue:

Haha! I just spat my tea out. :tongue:

I think the 10 percent figure is a bit high for exclusive (or near as dammit) same-sex attraction. The stats I'm more familiar with are around the 4 percent mark, with another sizeable group of people experiencing some degree of same sex attraction. A larger group still (30 something percent, IIRC) have had some degree of same sex experience but in many cases don't regard that as part of the sexual identity.

Sorry to sound a bit vague on the numbers, but surveys of sexual behaviour/identity vary wildly and are notoriously prone to participants being economical with the truth. The other issue is that it is hard to collapse something as complex as sexual identity onto a linear scale.

N.B. I'm in the 'proper gay' category but I also research gay friendships so I wonder, does that make me a professional gay? :angry:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
barq said:
Haha! I just spat my tea out. :angry:

N.B. I'm in the 'proper gay' category but I also research gay friendships so I wonder, does that make me a professional gay? :tongue:

What does that mean, Barq?

I think you're right about the percentage often misquoted at 10%. It was an urban myth I believe.

barq

rich p said:
What does that mean, Barq?

I think you're right about the percentage often misquoted at 10%. It was an urban myth I believe.

Think Will & Grace. :tongue: It is about friendships between gay men and heterosexual women. It sounds a bit niche, but it turns out that it casts light on other issues like whether perceived sexual desire complicates friendship.

Back on topic... We seem to have quite high figures for the poll here, but there may be an element of selectivity with those who read and/or voted in this thread. For all the jokes about lycra and XC jey boys I can't think of any reason why cyclists should vary in their sexual orientation to the population as a whole (except for this bloke of course).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
No, I'm not gay, but in my younger days maybe I did look a bit gay because I got chatted up a few times which didn't really offend me, but i thought it was a bit strange. I do have a couple of really good friends who are gay though.

Top Bottom