Are you in a cycling club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Depends upon the club. Some amateur clubs are strict racing clubs (one or more disciplines) run very 'professionally' others are social and there's a myriad in-between

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm a member of one, mostly for timetrialling. I'm about to join a second since they do some 25s and 50s close to me. Generally do most of my riding on me tod anyway, very occasional club run or other event.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I am.
Its a nice club. First ride they slowed down to gauge my fitness, but ended up going out on my own in front up the hills. Gives me people to talk to aswell when i ride.
Maz, the club i am in had some people with-out drop bars riding. I started riding with my trainers with them and my baggy endura trousers. Still wear the trousers and all they say is you need to get some proper trousers beause they are better, but dont really mind that.

walker

it Appears to be where you live according to this forum as to the club's you come into contact with. All the clubs in my area are really friendly, even to a point where inter club banter goes on at the coffee stops.

Either that or some of you are a little touchy.

You got to remember that some clubs don't have club run's and just sunday Chain gangs. If your going to ride with a club it's worth checking out if they do cater for newer riders and if they have more than one group of riders on the club run. We have 3 lots of riders on our club runs to cater for different sorts of riders, we have the hard riders, who, in general arn't that hard, we have the easy riders, which is mainly made up of old boys (over 65's) and then the womens run, all who meet at different times at at different places, but all on a sunday and all meet at the same cafe stop. I wouldn't get put off by one run, try other clubs, check websites for details etc, if you ask the right questions you should get the right answers.

Bigtallfatbloke

I think that the problen can be that riding in any group often creates a competitive environment from the off. I hate that, I cannot stand being judged or having expectations placed on me. When I ride I want to do it at my own pace, in a direction of my choosing and to be able to stop, 'burp and fart' whenever and however I dam well choose!

As for the organized rides which often cost cash...well i can ride the same route if I want to for free so wher eis the benefit?

The social scene is something I might join for...but then again why would I if I am not enjoying th erides in groups?

...no... I am a bit of a loner I am afraid...I hunt alone..it's better that way.

Aint Skeered

I am a great believer in club cycling, althrough I now ride for the LBS team.
It's sad that clubs still have a reputation for hammering newbie riders.
If you find a club like that then it's the wrong club, basically.
Clubs should encourage new members not drive them away with elitism

simoncc

Smeggers said:
MORE dour?!

Impossible! :angry: :blush: :wacko:

Have you mistaken me for someone else, one of those dour soapboxers who are always proposing bans, taxes, rules and regulations because most people are to thick to think for themselves? I'm the happy soapboxer who wants everyone to enjoy as much freedom as possible.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was a member of the Goodmayes Wheelers in Essex even though I moved 300 miles away from them 6 years ago. Unfortunately the club was wound up in September after 100 years of existance, so now I am solo.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Aint Skeered said:
I am a great believer in club cycling, althrough I now ride for the LBS team.
It's sad that clubs still have a reputation for hammering newbie riders.
If you find a club like that then it's the wrong club, basically.
Clubs should encourage new members not drive them away with elitism

spot on. when i first enquired about joining, the membership secretary invited me to go on the local club run. i was a little unsure how fast, so he suggested i go out on the sunday one with the old boys. did that, and realised that the normal run was for me and never looked back. even though i was riding a fairly bog standard halfords bike, i was made welcome. i'd recommend the macclesfield wheelers to anyone.

Top Bottom