Are you in a cycling club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
riding with a club is a good source of information on all things cycling. bike set up, repairs, camping ,hosteling (depending on the type of club) everything all for free.
we had a few new riders out last weekend on a fairly hilly ride. i was surprised at the fitness of some of them.lots of different bikes from road bikes to hybrids to old touring style bikes with toe clips and straps.
no one was left and we re grouped at the top of all the climbs.
any minor mechanicals or adjustments were carried out with loads of help and advice.
i think everyone learned something and had a good day out.

yello

I was with the Willesden for 2 years.... and rode with them once! Don't know why really, kept meaning to but just didn't get around to it. I road more frequently with the local CTC, even had them down as my audax club for points though usually road audax on my own.

Like RhythmThief , I prefer to ride on me tod so a club seems a bit of a weird thing to do.

Now, here in France, I joined the local club but it's more for the language practice than the riding.

walker

piedwagtail91 said:
riding with a club is a good source of information on all things cycling. bike set up, repairs, camping ,hosteling (depending on the type of club) everything all for free.
we had a few new riders out last weekend on a fairly hilly ride. i was surprised at the fitness of some of them.lots of different bikes from road bikes to hybrids to old touring style bikes with toe clips and straps.
no one was left and we re grouped at the top of all the climbs.
any minor mechanicals or adjustments were carried out with loads of help and advice.
i think everyone learned something and had a good day out.

I agree there Pied, I remember joining my club and they told me the bike was set up wrong, I was over extending, saddle needs to come forward etc.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I ride with Didcot Phoenix
http://www.didcotphoenix.co.uk/
Been friendly and very helpful. Tues. nights 22 mile Aussie Pursuit training run caters for all speeds and abilities and encourages newbies. As you get faster you can progress up to the faster groups. There are 10 and 25 TT's a Sunday Club run and even roller racing in the winter.
I'd recommend a club, the Aussie nights alone increase speed and add a bit of gentle competition even for us slow coaches.
As long as you ride as hard as you're able, you're in!

I'm in a cycling club. Good bunch of guys (and girls):angry:. Some race pretty seriously, some dabble and do a few club events and others are just quite happy to cycle whether it be with other club members or on their own. The thing I like about the club is that everybody is from a different background, does a different job etc but we all have one thing in common - a big interest in bikes and cycling:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
arranandy said:
I'm in a cycling club. Good bunch of guys (and girls):angry:. Some race pretty seriously, some dabble and do a few club events and others are just quite happy to cycle whether it be with other club members or on their own. The thing I like about the club is that everybody is from a different background, does a different job etc but we all have one thing in common - a big interest in bikes and cycling:smile:

a bit like this place really…

Aint Skeered

arranandy said:

You've hit the nail on the head, that is exactly what it's all about.

Mortiroloboy

Yes, I am, Newbury Road Club. A nice friendly club. Joining took me a lot of time to decide, I'm generally not a club sort of person period, but I started to go out with a group of riders from the LBS which led to joining the club, and I'm really glad I did though as I have done things and ridden routes I would never have done on my own:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
are we not all in a cycling club? after all this place has members, all of whom are cyclists of some persuasion, and has a club jersey.

other than geographical fixity, cycle chat has many things in common with a "real" cycling club, including a café stop.

Mortiroloboy

Gerry Attrick said:
No, not a member, but I do enjoy p**ing off the regular club riders I meet on a Sunday morning by tagging on to their group. Bit serious about it for my taste.

Eh! Why not join them? You would benefit from it, and has it not occured to you that they may be annoyed that you just 'tag on' but don't join. Just a thought
:angry:

walker

User259iroloboy said:
Eh! Why not join them? You would benefit from it, and has it not occured to you that they may be annoyed that you just 'tag on' but don't join. Just a thought
:angry:

If it was me I'd let him hang on till the first hill then let everyone drop behind him and let him carry us up.

It's like just joining in with a kick around in the park but no one invited you and you don't know anyone.

Also in joining in like that on a club run no one know's your ability to control a bike should the invitable happen.

Top Bottom