Are you in a cycling club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hey, in my own defence, when I used to organise runs for vintage motorcycles, it was common to have non-members tag along, and very welcome they were too. A little chat at the cafe stop invariably saw them join and enjoy more runs. That doesn't seem to apply to the local cycle club who see taggers-on as a threat to be repelled.

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
I'm in the ERC, I don't race though.

Like HLaB, I too am an Edinburgh RC member. Before I moved, I was a member of VC Beverley which was smaller and to be honest had a more personal and friendly feel to it. But, it is early days and I am sure that I will get to know the characters in ERC more as time goes on. I don't race, but enjoy the Saturday club runs.

frog

For the past two years or so my Sunday ride has included a section used by the Wycombe Road Club. They have marshals at the corners and it's very well organised. However, you'd think that when a cyclists rides past and wishes them 'Good Morning' at least one would reply.

Except for one bloke who agreed with me when I said 'I could murder a bacon sarnie right now' all I've had is looks of distain.

On the other hand just past that is a stretch through Prestwood where I meet a lot of 'non-club riders' who never fail to smile or wish you a 'Good Morning'.

Given a choice I'll remain a member of the 'non-club it it's all the same to you :angry:

postman

Legendary Member
I started on my own.Then did the Great Yorkshire Bike ride.Met a mother and daughter.Who invited me to join the Leeds section of the CTC.the most wonderful bunch of people ever.They took me all over Yorkshire and gave me the passion which still burns bright today.I then started a works team.And now four of us cycle on a rgular basis out of our church.And two of us are retired so we get out through the week also.Steady pace good cafe stops and lots of fun.

pzycoman said:
Yes - the De Ver Cycles team (in / around london) - most relaxed club I know of - to be a member, you have to buy a team top! (Or get a free one with a new bike) - can be as active or lazy (me!) as you like. Top bunch of guys.

they are a lovely bunch, but scary as hell going through traffic

Noodley

John the Monkey said:
My feeling is that I need to be able to do more distance, faster, before thinking of racing or joining a club...

Nope, I'm fairly sure some of my club have a competition to see who can go slowest and stop most for a cuppa.

I'm in the Cheam and Morden CTC. Shimmering spokes, twinkling eyes and sparkling teeth.

The rides are extraordinary. No matter how much I flatter myself I know Surrey or Sussex, there'll always be a turn that will show me something new. When I lead the daytime rides (which is not often) I worry myself sick working out ways of making them enjoyable, and almost always ride down the route beforehand.

I lead the Cheam and Morden Friday Night Ride to the Coast, and it's been a real joy.

simonali

Guru
No. I don't have the right sort of bike and don't take it that seriously. Cycling is just a bit of fun for me these days.

There is/was a local club in town, but they'd quite happily drop you on the Sunday morning run and leave you behind apparently.

Top Bottom