Arm or leg warmers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have 2 pairs of bib tights but I left them up in Notts and I'm home now but can't go back to notts for at least 2 weeks which is longer than I anticipated, and I have my bike with me and all I have are cycling shorts and a short sleeve Jersey and I've been putting off cycling because of the weather and being cold. So I thought about maybe buying some arm or leg warmers but I don't know which is the better option in keeping warm since think having both on at the same time would be too hot for me. Or how else do people suggest I resolve the clothing issue in the cheapest way but that's also efficient? Because I don't want to buy another pair of bib tights.
You seem to have completely missed the point of arm and leg warmers!!!! The idea is you put them on when you feel chilly and take them off when too hot.

Only you can decide if you feel the cold more on your arms or legs. For me it's arms but at this time of year I'd also want more than the shorts and summer jersey you mention.

Personally I use leg warmers for 2-3 weeks at most in spring and autumn but arm warmers whenever the air temperature is low, 9⁰C or less, from October to March.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is that what getting old will be like?!? You become less physically fit and you're cold all the time?! What else am I in for?
It doesn't have to happen.
When I was younger, 25 years ago, the rule was to break out the longs when it looked hitting single digits, but now (60) I'm routinely in shorts down to 5° (and bare feet in my SPD sandals). Last winter's coldest was -2, admittedly with an element of beer jacket.

In the OP's situation, I'd get a long sleeve top (have Aldi got any left?) and a gilet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just go to sports direct for a running top or baselayer (Lots under a tenner) and if needed, some running tights or leggings to wear over the shorts

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Arm warmers, yes. Leg warmers, I did buy some this year but have never used them, went straight to long bibs. I will add, I generally only get to ride on a night when the temperature drops.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Arm and leg warmers with gilet ATM for me

C R

Guru
Check Aldi, they may have some stuff left from their cycling sale. Size might be an issue if you are small.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have you got any other longer trousers you could wear? You don’t have to wear cycle specific clothing. I mostly ride my recumbent now but even on my other bikes I only wear cycle specific stuff if I’m going to be riding for a few hours. Anything up to two hours or so I’m happy in normal clothing. Even jeans, just tuck them in your socks to prevent oil on them when riding.

So have you got some tracky bottoms, running trousers or similar? Have you got a fairly windproof jacket for your top half? Once you cut the wind out that generates I lot of warmth in itself. Have you got a fleecy or wool jumper, why not wear that?

It’s only a couple of weeks and temps are forecast to stay double digit other than overnight and first thing in morning. Then you can get your bib longs for the lower half.

Have you got any other longer trousers you could wear? You don’t have to wear cycle specific clothing. I mostly ride my recumbent now but even on my other bikes I only wear cycle specific stuff if I’m going to be riding for a few hours. Anything up to two hours or so I’m happy in normal clothing. Even jeans, just tuck them in your socks to prevent oil on them when riding.

So have you got some tracky bottoms, running trousers or similar? Have you got a fairly windproof jacket for your top half? Once you cut the wind out that generates I lot of warmth in itself. Have you got a fleecy or wool jumper, why not wear that?
Amen to that!

Unless you're racing on telly, or in a fashion parade, there are plenty of things in the average wardrobe that will keep you warm on a bike :smile:

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is that what getting old will be like?!? You become less physically fit and you're cold all the time?! What else am I in for?

No, unless you’ve been competing at a very high level, you won’t reach your fitness potential even in your 20s and 30s. So you won’t see a sharp decline for many years as you trundle along below your genetic potential. Just keep exercising, keep it consistent, and try not to get less active as you age.

The cold thing does seem to be genetic. Some run colder than others. I run warm and am still in shorts and t shirts whilst other I see are dressed as though a snow storm is here.

Arm before leg warmers for me. I often use arm warmers well through the year in early and cold mornings and find that my legs are still OK as they are doing the work. Been using both in the last 2wks as it's dropped below 20º now:tongue:

Top Bottom