Arm or leg warmers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Have you got any other longer trousers you could wear? You don’t have to wear cycle specific clothing. I mostly ride my recumbent now but even on my other bikes I only wear cycle specific stuff if I’m going to be riding for a few hours. Anything up to two hours or so I’m happy in normal clothing. Even jeans, just tuck them in your socks to prevent oil on them when riding.

So have you got some tracky bottoms, running trousers or similar? Have you got a fairly windproof jacket for your top half? Once you cut the wind out that generates I lot of warmth in itself. Have you got a fleecy or wool jumper, why not wear that?

It’s only a couple of weeks and temps are forecast to stay double digit other than overnight and first thing in morning. Then you can get your bib longs for the lower half.
All I have is 2 pairs of jeans atm and 2 bib shorts. I haven't owned any trackies for years or leggings or running trousers. Just a normal winter jacket but it gets too hot cycling in it. Fleece is up in Notts and I have one normal jumper. I was not expecting to stay at home with all my stuff up in Notts for this long period of time so I did not really pack much with me- I was meant to only come for 5 days or so! And now that's going to turn into at least 3 weeks of staying at home with all my stuff in Notts..:shy: I'll see if my sister left any of her clothes that I could potentially borrow for cycling.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
All I have is 2 pairs of jeans atm and 2 bib shorts. I haven't owned any trackies for years or leggings or running trousers. Just a normal winter jacket but it gets too hot cycling in it. Fleece is up in Notts and I have one normal jumper. I was not expecting to stay at home with all my stuff up in Notts for this long period of time so I did not really pack much with me- I was meant to only come for 5 days or so! And now that's going to turn into at least 3 weeks of staying at home with all my stuff in Notts..:shy: I'll see if my sister left any of her clothes that I could potentially borrow for cycling.
What about something like Ronhill Tracksters over your bib tights?

Arm warmers are more useful than leg warmers. As you say you have longs anyway. Love the meraklon ones from Prendas. Very cheap and they stay up better than expensive ones.

Kryton521

Über Member
"Below 18 degrees, cover your knees". Advice worth heeding. Your knees should be protected from the cold as they are pivot points.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Arm warmers are more useful than leg warmers. As you say you have longs anyway. Love the meraklon ones from Prendas. Very cheap and they stay up better than expensive ones.
I do not have my bib tights with me and won't be able to get them for at least 2 weeks if not 3 or 4. Do you think these arm warmers are good: https://www.swissiconic.com/giordana-g-shield-arm-warmer/

I looked at the ones you recommended but they're out of stock for size small.

So knee warmers but not leg warmers or should I just get leg warmers? How do you dress for 10-13 degrees weather?

You must be mad to cycle in that:laugh:

Just wrap up warmly and expect to take some stuff off when you get going proper. Nice thin but warm leg/arm warmers roll up to sock size and are easy to stash n your back pocket. It rare i take my arm warmers off but legs warmers come off as soon as they can, depends the temp, wind etc.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ignore all the nonsense about covering your knees at certain temperatures. That’s just the posters preference, it’s not backed up by any scientific evidence at all. You will know when you want your legs covered up, it varies a lot between people.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Ignore all the nonsense about covering your knees at certain temperatures. That’s just the posters preference, it’s not backed up by any scientific evidence at all. You will know when you want your legs covered up, it varies a lot between people.
I found my Mum's long sleeve thermal top- so could wear that under my jersey and think it will be fine- but I don't know if I'll get too hot or if that's not warm enough.

Top Bottom