Arm or leg warmers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have 2 pairs of bib tights but I left them up in Notts and I'm home now but can't go back to notts for at least 2 weeks which is longer than I anticipated, and I have my bike with me and all I have are cycling shorts and a short sleeve Jersey and I've been putting off cycling because of the weather and being cold. So I thought about maybe buying some arm or leg warmers but I don't know which is the better option in keeping warm since think having both on at the same time would be too hot for me. Or how else do people suggest I resolve the clothing issue in the cheapest way but that's also efficient? Because I don't want to buy another pair of bib tights.

Dan77

Ride harder. You'll soon warm up.

Personally I find that I can handle cold legs but not cold arms so much.

Sharky

Guru
Go to primark and get a tight fitting top/jumper and wear under your cycling Jersey.
For the legs, proper legwarmers are best.
If the wind gets really biting, cut a hole in some bubble wrap and put over your head to protect your chest.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've never owned arm warmers or leg warmers.

When it gets a bit colder, I put either a long sleeve top or a light cycling jacket on. Legs are fine in shorts for about 10 months of the year. You lose so, so little body heat through your legs. Get a light jacket from Decathlon and tell your legs to harden the f&ck up.

When it gets seriously frosty cold it might be time for roubaix tights of course, but that's like 6 weeks of the year. And it ain't yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Go to primark and get a tight fitting top/jumper and wear under your cycling Jersey.
For the legs, proper legwarmers are best.
If the wind gets really biting, cut a hole in some bubble wrap and put over your head to protect your chest.
A thermal long sleeve baselayer, would that suffice? Since most long sleeve tops I see being sold are quite thin and not that tight fitting. Bubble wrap used in cycling for insulation first time I heard about this!

Sharky

Guru
A thermal long sleeve baselayer, would that suffice? Since most long sleeve tops I see being sold are quite thin and not that tight fitting. Bubble wrap used in cycling for insulation first time I heard about this!
Genuine arm warmers are probably a bit more wind proof, but a thermal base layer will keep you warm until it gets really cold. Just layer up under your cycling top if there is enough room.

They used to sell "chest protectors" for under your top, particularly for early season races, but bubble wrap works just as well. In the tdf, they used to stick newspapers under their tops to protect against the cold wind on long descents.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I can’t wear arm or leg warmers.They’re just not comfortable.
I wear a long sleeve baselayer instead.Once the temps drop below 18c I wear biblongs and a LS baselayer as a matter of course.At that temp I never get too warm.I will carry a Gillet too for just in case.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I can’t wear arm or leg warmers.They’re just not comfortable.
I wear a long sleeve baselayer instead.Once the temps drop below 18c I wear biblongs and a LS baselayer as a matter of course.At that temp I never get too warm.I will carry a Gillet too for just in case.
I wear bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey even when it's 13 degrees.... and you're there putting on all the winter kit at below 18! What long sleeve baselayer do you recommend

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I wear bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey even when it's 13 degrees.... and you're there putting on all the winter kit at below 18! What long sleeve baselayer do you recommend
You’re obviously younger than I :okay: I used to be fine in shorts etc for 8 or 9 months of the year until I hit 50 and it all went downhill :laugh:
As mentioned Decathlon do decent baselayers but I also rate the stuff from Aldi.
(I’m currently at work on nights and I’m sat here with full winter long johns/LS. baselayer under my work gear and I’m in a Steel Melting shop:laugh:)

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

You’re obviously younger than I :okay: I used to be fine in shorts etc for 8 or 9 months of the year until I hit 50 and it all went downhill :laugh:
As mentioned Decathlon do decent baselayers but I also rate the stuff from Aldi.
(I’m currently at work on nights and I’m sat here with full winter long johns/LS. baselayer under my work gear and I’m in a Steel Melting shop:laugh:)
Is that what getting old will be like?!? You become less physically fit and you're cold all the time?! What else am I in for?

Top Bottom