Armstrong admits to Astana tensions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
zimzum42 said:
Cycling has so many great champions who were nothing of the kind. Indurain and Sastre to name a few recent ones...

and I am sure it has its fair share of great champions who come over as arrogant too.

johnnyh said:
and I am sure it has its fair share of great champions who come over as arrogant too.
But arrogance isn't essential. It just means that you're a great champion and a prize arse. Which is why there's no need for people to make excuses for it.

onthe_road

From Contador's press conference (today):
"If I were clearly the team leader there would not be any kind of controversy"
and
"If Armstrong attacks I won't follow".

And finally the slightly off topic word in the streets of Limonges - makes more economic sense LA win so Astana playing two cards till the Alps to see how both hold.

onthe_road

that's right nail 'im to the x by the nuts
ouch did i just type that?
don't be shy
the camp is divided all the way to the astana bus!
i'm not sure myself if i'd like him to win or not!

OP
OP
Y

yello

onthe_road said:
From Contador's press conference (today):
"If I were clearly the team leader there would not be any kind of controversy"

That for me really is the nub of it. I really do think Contador has been shafted. Any talk of him being leader is at best lip service. When the team was announced, it was with Contador as leader... but yet we have Armstrong making statements that clearly undermine that. There's been shocking communication within Astana team and it appears to be continuing. I really do feel sorry for Contador and wish his with a more supportive team, one that truly appreciated his value.

mr-marty-martin

sualy they'll not be on the same team next season...

and if it comes down to it i think people will more than likely work for armstrong that coni on the team....

onthe_road

And talking about stage race cycling becoming the next "technology-crippled" (F1?) sport e.g. radio bans on stage 10 & 13, Fernando Alonso to set up cycling team with Contador as leader!

yello said:
That for me really is the nub of it. I really do think Contador has been shafted. Any talk of him being leader is at best lip service. When the team was announced, it was with Contador as leader... but yet we have Armstrong making statements that clearly undermine that. There's been shocking communication within Astana team and it appears to be continuing. I really do feel sorry for Contador and wish his with a more supportive team, one that truly appreciated his value.
He's only won three Grand Tours in the last few years. Clearly he hasn't proven himself worthy of being team leader yet.

OP
OP
Y

yello

mr-marty-martin said:
sualy they'll not be on the same team next season.

Nah... whatever makes you think that! ;)

people will more than likely work for armstrong that coni on the team....

Maybe, maybe not. Personally I think not. But, either way, it's not really the point.

maurice

johnnyh said:
ah well, when does the anti Cav campaign start then?

Nah he should be ok, the cyclechat racing pundits only tend to criticise proven dopers (D. Millar)and arrogant champions (Cavendish) if they're not British.

They'll always find a reason, i.e. "he's reformed!" / "he's so good well it doesn't matter", to qualify it.;)

onthe_road

Last one from forumspammer me - from AC's interview today:

Press: "Do you consider yourself in the care of your team only?"
AC: "No, I have other people around I trust." (Caisse D'Epargne, Euskaltel-Euskadi?)

Press: "Are you feeling good in this Tour?"
AC: "Yes, more than ever. As I said before I feel very good. Then, the Tour is the Tour. Moreover, the team environment is not as bad as they say in the media"

OP
OP
Y

yello

Have you got a link for that interview? I'd like to read it in it's entirety.

Maybe he has family & friends around he trusts, not necessarily other teams... that said, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he has enlisted the support of another (his future?) team.

I love the intrigue!

dickothedrafter

johnnyh said:
ah well, when does the anti Cav campaign start then?

:laugh: :smile:

Shame that when you get to the top of a sport people can't wait to shoot you down.......

Personally i hope Armstrong wins, and until he fails a drug test he's not a cheat in my book either ;)

Top Bottom