Armstrong admits to Astana tensions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisz

Über Member
It's ok for a 10 but if you get the dosage wrong (and sometimes even if you get it right) it can give you really bad wind (both ends) and fairly explosive 'rusty water' !! (as I found out a few times :biggrin:)

Noodley

onthe_road said:
....the TdF organisers publicise on a discretionary basis and a lot less than they know.

The UCI are responsible for arrangements for doping controls, and have an agreement with the French Anti-doping Agency (AFDL) for targetted tests during the Tour, not the Tour organisers (ASO).

Will1985

Über Member
mr-marty-martin said:
contador doping never crossed my mind...
I've never trusted anyone who was on the Fuentes list, especially the Spanish ones. This includes high ranking tennis players.
The way Contador was the only person who could go with Ricco in the 08 Giro months before the latter was to be dumped out of the Tour was surely suspicious.

Maybe he can claim his status as a great grand tour rider when he wins the Tour without it being handed to him on a plate.

Of course, his inclusion in my fantasy tour team is tactical!

Skip Madness

mr-marty-martin said:
btw do track riders get doping controls just that i never hear about them getting done for doping???
Annalisa Cucinotta tested positive for an anabolic steroid at the Cali round of the World Cup last year.
Will1985 said:
I've never trusted anyone who was on the Fuentes list, especially the Spanish ones.
Even Allan Davis and Koldo Gil?
Maybe he can claim his status as a great grand tour rider when he wins the Tour without it being handed to him on a plate.
That seems a bit harsh. If Michael Rasmussen had been excluded from the Tour at the start, no-one would have said, "Yeah, well done to Contador but he had it handed to him when Michael Rasmussen didn't start," yet it is effectively the same thing.

And finally...
try saying you admire LA or hope he wins the TdF this year and see how long it takes before the abuse starts ;)
I admire Lance Armstrong and I hope he wins the Tour de France this year.

Will1985

Über Member
What about Davis and Gil? I've only ever mentioned Davis on here - given the choice Quickstep had to make, I'd have rather kept him in than someone who has a problem with white lines.

I'm with you on the last comment.

stumpy

Skip Madness said:
That seems a bit harsh. If Michael Rasmussen had been excluded from the Tour at the start, no-one would have said, "Yeah, well done to Contador but he had it handed to him when Michael Rasmussen didn't start," yet it is effectively the same thing.

If I remember correctly (and it's highly possible that I don't) didn't resmussen pull contador up a couple of col's thus dropping evans thus loosing evans the tour????

Skip Madness said:
And finally...
I admire Lance Armstrong and I hope he wins the Tour de France this year.

And me:evil:

Sorry.....;)

onthe_road

Noodley said:
The UCI are responsible for arrangements for doping controls, and have an agreement with the French Anti-doping Agency (AFDL) for targetted tests during the Tour, not the Tour organisers (ASO).

With all due respect to your vice president status Noodley, I'm not sure it's that clear cut. Last year the UCI cleared Boonen. Prudhomme said it wouldn't do and he was out. This year he got busted again the same arguments were tabled and he's in.

Skip Madness

Will1985 said:
What about Davis and Gil? I've only ever mentioned Davis on here - given the choice Quickstep had to make, I'd have rather kept him in than someone who has a problem with white lines.
Well they were both on the Fuentes list - Davis has managed to get back to business and Gil hasn't, but they both offered DNA samples to exonerate themselves. I'm just saying that the Fuentes list - although highly incriminating for many - may well contain a few clean riders.

Noodley

onthe_road said:
With all due respect to your vice president status Noodley, I'm not sure it's that clear cut. Last year the UCI cleared Boonen. Prudhomme said it wouldn't do and he was out. This year he got busted again the same arguments were tabled and he's in.

Ah, that was last year when ASO and the UCI had a tiff and the French Cycling Federation (FFC) were in charge of anti-doping. And thus why AFLD got involved last year.

This year ASO and UCI are pals again.

Edit: here's a wiki link which has a bit about the doping controls in 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Tour_de_France#Doping

OP
OP
Y

yello

onthe_road said:
Last year the UCI cleared Boonen. Prudhomme said it wouldn't do and he was out. This year he got busted again the same arguments were tabled and he's in.

UCI/ASO tiffs aside, there's another consideration.

ASO are a tournament organiser and invite teams, and so can withdraw the invite. It's not really a matter of rules or regulations. UCI are the regulatory body (okay okay, in reality the distinctions get blurred!) and don't force any organiser to invite/accept a team.

Yes, I realise that's highly simplistic and reality is much much more involved, but that simple distinction is there.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
onthe_road said:

WHAT???????

Boonen is there?:smile::biggrin:

Skip Madness

Will1985 said:
I know they were on Fuentes' list, but I meant "why those in particular?"...
Because... they would appear to be trustworthy. You said you didn't trust anyone on the Fuentes list, but I thought that seemed a bit unfair on those two who were on it but were both prepared to give DNA samples to help out, and maybe there are other riders on there who aren't actually implicated. I think we might be on different wavelengths here!

Top Bottom