Armstrong charged and banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

There would be some merit in having a forum for just LA given that he figures so frequently as a topic for discussion and that each thread is longer than War and Peace.

There have been 2 Armstrong threads this year - one when the case was "dropped" and this one. The first thread was 4 pages (73 posts) long.

Alun

Guru
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Likes his cake and beer does Jan.

ullrichbeer.jpg
I like his bibshorts, are they Rapha?

OP
OP
Y

yello

I've been allowing myself to think in terms of punishment (I really ought not tempt fate, I know, but what the hell!)

I don't think any USADA punishment (ban, title stripping, fine) would be in itself a real issue for a retired and wealthy ex-athlete. They could still live out there lives quietly without major disruption, dealing with their ghosts as they will. What the USADA punishment could lead to (particularly in the case of Armstrong) is another matter; it could financially ruin him and have him publicly vilified front page on national dailies.

But I'd be happy for Armstrong to be named and shamed officially, i.e. the USADA punishment only; for it to be known by all that his exploits are tainted and the record books to reflect that. Should that happen, my interest in the subject would diminish.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
But I'd be happy for Armstrong to be named and shamed officially, i.e. the USADA punishment only; for it to be known by all that his exploits are tainted and the record books to reflect that. Should that happen, my interest in the subject would diminish.

It's the UCI that might then act to change the record book. USADA does not have that power. As I've already stated, I don't really agree with doing this. I'd rather the results stood, alongside the knowledge that the winner was most likely illegally assisted.

Alun

Guru
It's the UCI that might then act to change the record book. USADA does not have that power. As I've already stated, I don't really agree with doing this. I'd rather the results stood, alongside the knowledge that the winner was most likely illegally assisted.
Agreed, if you start to rewrite the results, where would you stop? Give the 2000/2001 and 2003 TdF to Ullrich? Someone who is currently banned for doping, although not for the years in question.

OP
OP
Y

yello

My loose wording takes people down a street I didn't intend.

I don't want the record books "rewritten" and I realise USADA cannot strip titles they didn't award. In fact, I see no real purpose in stripping the TdF wins etc (though I suspect that would happen) and I'm pretty sure I've said that already.

I do want history to show that Armstrong was a tainted 'winner'. USADA finding Armstrong guilty would ensure that.

Btw, is it UCI or ASO that'd strip the TdF titles? Genuine question, I don't know, though I thought it'd be ASO.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It's of no relevance. The USADA action is not against other winners of the TdF. The fact that other riders dope is not a reason to not pursue Armstrong.

For what it's worth, I support action against all riders that dope.

OP
OP
Y

yello

A note to others - it may look as though Alun has selectively quoted me but I think, in fairness to him, his post crossed with me editing my original one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom