Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran Arran Discussion Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it will be early July
Yeah, July is the earliest for me. June's fully booked.

ArranAndy came up with a good route for our Arran trip on the old C+ forum; we headed north (or was it south :wacko:) round the island to the west side and the String back to Brodick and descending wuss me his 40 odd mph freewheeling/ breaking; we then done the opposite half of the island again to the west side of Arran and this time I knew where I could give it a bit more wellie (so as to speak) and reached 47.6mph on the descent to Brodick. A good descender would easily do 50-60mph down it.

This is why we need to stagger our descents. I'm chunky so can pick up a LOT of speed on a good descent compared to you skinny lot... a wheel overlap at that speed would not end well!

zizou

Veteran

That is it west to east.

Being sensible for a moment if it is a top speed attempt i would recommend to do it at the top, it is the fastest section but it is also the safest section. After that take it down a notch because once it gets twisty there are manhole covers and also some bits of tarmac that you want to avoid which you wont know about unless you have already riden the road. You could always do the road twice ;)

Perhaps i'm just being over cautious but i always like to know a hill before i really go for it, its good to know if there are potential issues with the surface, what bits are prone to water runoff or mud, where the wind can get you, what sightlines are like etc.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Looks like a great descent though :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
Is there parking at Ardrossan (i.e. can you leave a car there for the day?) - cars might be easier for us East-coasters than relying on trains.

Is there parking at Ardrossan (i.e. can you leave a car there for the day?) - cars might be easier for us East-coasters than relying on trains.
Yeah, there's plenty of car parking at the terminal. It's quite traditional for people to park up, take their bikes on the ferry, and pootle around on the island for a couple of days. No idea of pricing, though.

Top Bottom