Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran Arran Discussion Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
I'd be up for either/any route, but I do think it would be preferably if we stuck together as a group for as long as possible.

Appreciate what you're saying Ras and its in the spirit of CC Ecosse to stick together (no one gets left behind), it does feel though for someone who is slower that I'm spoiling the enjoyment of you fast boys. I like the banter of a group but would struggle to keep up on a ride of this length/climbing so perhaps 2 rides are best? Just to keep everyone happy.

edindave

Über Member
Yes that's the route i intended. Bit of a roller coaster. Looks fairly flat after the String Rd. Sounds like Machrie golf course will be a perfectly timed cake stop.

The Ross Rd climb comes in at no 5 in terms of average gradient in the pocket book "Cyclists guide to Hillclimbs on Scottish Lowland Roads" , The String from Brodick is no. 10. It doesn't include every climb out there just a selection.
No. 1 is the climb up East Lomond near Falkland "Purin Den" avg grad 10%. I got that one out the way a couple of weeks back (in fact the day of the Kinross sportive). Pretty tough going! Fantastic view from the car park at the top.

Machrie does look like a good spot to take on food, with a flat section just after it before the final climb beyond Lochranza :thumbsup:, then it's flat-ish/rolling terrain into Brodick.

Sounds like an interesting wee book of climbs you're working your way through :smile:
The Purrin Den is on Strava as what looks like a club hill climb route too - 2.2km at 10.2% ave - nice! (Same road that Tug found).

edindave

Über Member
Arran a Bike'n'Hike but only outer loop, anti clockwise. The hike is optional, many don't do it. 22nd June, enter via diabetes uk website.

That's always an option :thumbsup:
£18 entry fee and £100 minimum sponsorship.
If it was the full 71mi route and didn't have the minimum sponsorship I'd probably be interested.
But that date is no good for me anyway.

GBC

Veteran
Appreciate what you're saying Ras and its in the spirit of CC Ecosse to stick together (no one gets left behind), it does feel though for someone who is slower that I'm spoiling the enjoyment of you fast boys. I like the banter of a group but would struggle to keep up on a ride of this length/climbing so perhaps 2 rides are best? Just to keep everyone happy.

That's exactly my sentiments Mark. Like you, I'm very clear where Rasmus is coming from, but considering the relevant complexities of travel for this one. I think we would all want to come home happy.

clockhammer

All good points being made. I would be happy doing either route but for me these rides are about the social aspect, the last one was a good laugh. For training rides i am happier on my own so i am happy to dawdle along on a group ride. If 2 routes is the way its going i am pretty sure there will be enough of us to make 2 good groups and meeting up somewhere for coffee etc makes it even better.

Basically i will be there whatever is decided (work etc permitting). Excited already :smile:

Crossposted from Fife thread:
Be mindful that Scotrail are not always happy to allow more than two or three bikes on the one train.

Be mindful that Scotrail are not always happy to allow more than two or three bikes on the one train.
You're not wrong :-(.
I'll probably be cycling from Glasgow to Ardrossan precisely because of Scotrail, and it would be probably wise for some people to get the train to Kilwinning and cycle from there to Ardrossan Harbour to lower the number of bikes on the train that syncs directly up with the ferry.

Top Bottom