Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran Arran Discussion Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
You're not wrong :-(.
I'll probably be cycling from Glasgow to Ardrossan precisely because of Scotrail, and it would be probably wise for some people to get the train to Kilwinning and cycle from there to Ardrossan Harbour to lower the number of bikes on the train that syncs directly up with the ferry.

Generally they are a bit more relaxed with bikes on this service - have seen 20+ bikes on it before.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Reason I asked is that we will be going in or around the orange walk season, with flows of drunk crowds whom I'd rather avoid. If no ferrys, then no worries.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Riding up the Boguillie out of North Glen Sannox last year, on the way from Land's End to John O'Groats, it occurred to me that, since the steep bit is long and straight, and since the whole eastern side is now super-smooth, this would be a prime candidate for the breaking of speed records in the event of a nice strong westerly. Looking back, I should have ridden back down sans luggage to see what was achievable, but didn't........I reckon 60+mph is well within reach here, though.

Which way round will you be doing this road? The western descent I don't think is so fast.

edindave

Über Member
Riding up the Boguillie out of North Glen Sannox last year, on the way from Land's End to John O'Groats, it occurred to me that, since the steep bit is long and straight, and since the whole eastern side is now super-smooth, this would be a prime candidate for the breaking of speed records in the event of a nice strong westerly. Looking back, I should have ridden back down sans luggage to see what was achievable, but didn't........I reckon 60+mph is well within reach here, though.

Which way round will you be doing this road? The western descent I don't think is so fast.

You've lost me...

We will probably be split into two groups.

Route Option 1
Brodick - south down coast to Lamlash - Ross Rd (Glen Scorradale) - follow coast road round south coast and back up to Brodick - String Rd - Machrie - North round coast and back to Brodick.

Route Option 2 - clockwise route round the coast.

I certainly won't be aiming to hit 60mph. 55mph was scary enough when I did manage that on a familiar road, and I'm never doing that again!

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
You've lost me...

We will probably be split into two groups.

Route Option 1
Brodick - south down coast to Lamlash - Ross Rd (Glen Scorradale) - follow coast road round south coast and back up to Brodick - String Rd - Machrie - North round coast and back to Brodick.

Route Option 2 - clockwise route round the coast.

I certainly won't be aiming to hit 60mph. 55mph was scary enough when I did manage that on a familiar road, and I'm never doing that again!

60 MPH, he will lose most of us:ph34r:

edindave

Über Member
Sorry, I'm not sure of the accepted name for the big climb between Sannox and Lochranza - 'Boguillie' seems to be the name of the col on the Ordnance Survey maps.

Anyway, it looks like the Route 2 candidates will be doing this road the fast way......good luck!

Ah now I get you... Sannox Downhill Road. 60mph would certainly blow away the current KOM. Actually 60kph would too lol

Ignore that rubbish! Wasn't thinking clearly! The current KOM has a max speed of 87.7kph. Eeek!
Both routes will be doing it this direction.

zizou

Veteran

I've hit mid 50s going down Glen Sannox, its a very fast descent since it was resurfaced. I think the String Road down to Brodick is slightly faster though - partly because you have good sight lines for the fastest bit plus a little rise after so you can scrub off a bit of speed so you can really go for it, whereas the fastest bit of the Glen Sannox descent the camber of the road sort of pushes you to the right and the sightline around the bend isn't quite so good. Would love to do it knowing there wasn't any cars coming the other way!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
That's interesting. I haven't ridden The String Road (drove it in 1992, though), but did see a video of the descent on Youtube. I think a speed-seeking trip to Arran is called for!

String Road Descent

My record is 62mph down the String from west to east in good weather (before Strava)
Last time I was there I had terrible weather on the descent, a broken wheel, worn tyre and zero visibility - despite riding the brakes the entire way down, I still hit 46 without turning a pedal :<

We should arrange something where we have a gap between people descending, so that everyone gets a run to do it as fast (or as safely) as they want, and the first person to go down wears a hi-vis vest and, at the bottom, stops traffic coming from the other direction until everyone is down... who has a high-vis vest? :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 20519

Any dates set yet? I'm going to be in Newcastle for a week in early June so hopefully it's not then!

Top Bottom