Arrogant cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't know how they behave in Northern Ireland but I suspect you weren't there in Northern England yesterday to see what I saw. But don't stop speculating, will you?
Your story was self explanatory. You tagged onto and made your way through a group you weren't welcome in.

Them wearing Assos doesn't really change that you were the ignorant party,nor do pleasantries.

PS: It's not a done thing here.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I couldnt wave back to anybody - i dare not remove hand from bar...... I wobble with 2 hands on:hello:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Your story was self explanatory. You tagged onto and made your way through a group you weren't welcome in.

Them wearing Assos doesn't really change that you were the ignorant party,nor do pleasantries.

PS: It's not a done thing here.
This is exactly what I mean and have seen on numerous occasions. It doesn't happen with the decent riders but the better equipped, the more up their own arse then TEND to be (I'm not tarring everyone). You see, when I run (and I still do - been out today frinstance) in groups, any other runner joining us is ALWAYS welcome and you aren't judged by your kit or the shoes you're wearing. Sadly, that tends to not happen with cyclists.

P.S, I won't be bringing my bike to Northern Ireland, I'd probably be expected to qualify by naming the school I went to.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
OP. If you're on a bus do you wave at people on other busses that go past? How about people wearing shoes like yours? By all means nod and wave, I do the INR thing myself but if people don't respond fair play to them.

It is your thing not theirs, if you want people to conform to your world view then a unilateral coup and imposition of your own brand of martial law is probably your best bet. otherwise live and let live eh.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This is exactly what I mean and have seen on numerous occasions. It doesn't happen with the decent riders but the better equipped, the more up their own arse then TEND to be (I'm not tarring everyone). You see, when I run (and I still do - been out today frinstance) in groups, any other runner joining us is ALWAYS welcome and you aren't judged by your kit or the shoes you're wearing. Sadly, that tends to not happen with cyclists.
It makes no difference if they were all on Triban 3's with toe-clips. If you(or anyone else) were wanted in the group you would have been invited at the start of the ride.

P.S, I won't be bringing my bike to Northern Ireland, I'd probably be expected to qualify by naming the school I went to.
Your loss ;)

swislon

Über Member
I wave or nod or say hello to nearly all cyclists on the open road.
If they don't respond I don't let it stop me doing the same to next cyclist.
Some are friendly some aren't. C'est la vie!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Since joining a club ive noticed that when i wear my club Jersey 95% of cyclists never seem to reply with a nod or raised hand, but when im in just a normal jersey id say 60% reply.
And before anyone says maybe they dont like the club, i could be 40-50 miles away.

It's not the club, it's not the jersey, it's you they don't like. No offence like.

ayceejay

Guru
This is the way it works for me: I see a cyclist or two coming the other way I wave and say hello - they ignore me - the next cyclists I see I think bugger it and keep my head down - they wave and say hello. So from my experience if you want other cyclists to greet you let them make the first move as this puts you in the drivers seat arrogancewise.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
As long as I see them in good time, I say hello to all cyclists (except POBSO, you know, the ones with rusty chains, full sus MTB, bald tyres, smoking a fag)

A lot say hello, but I'm sorry to report the majority that don't are club cyclists. But if I was on a club/training ride and breathing out of my @rse, then saying hello to some happy fat bloke on a touring bike would be low down on my list of priorities.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I always smile and shout hi or hello or wave...and I think 99% do back...those that don't either don't see or it's to dangerous to take hands off bars etc...

I do the same to drivers and mostly they just stare blankly as if im on drugs

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

It is not just Northern Ireland where this is the etiquette, it is universal! The fact they were all on best bikes might indicate their intent, serious kit for a serious ride! Maybe you make a habit of trying to poke your front wheel into other groups chaingangs and that is why you are shunned repeatedly.

The cycling vs running comparison is a non-starter! How much trust is needed between runners in order to have a safe training session? Not a lot, it is a fairly safe activity with a fairly large margin for error! How much havok can one knob cause when running? The answer is, enough! But not as much as one knob on a bicycle amongst another load of people on bikes, the margin of error is much smaller and the consequences much more severe! Cyclist on a training run will tend to be well drilled and there is a trust built between club riders and training groups, they trust each other not to do something daft, to ride predictably and conscientiously, they won't much appreciate some random bloke planting himself in their pace line because as far as they are concerned, they do not know you, they do not trust you, you could be a liability.

Quite frankly, in this instance the only nobber was you!

Top Bottom